• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CrossFireX on XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShaneEire

Registered
I have two HD4870's in my PC. And to be honest I don't want to go near Vista I had it and 'downgraded' back to XP and was a wise choice.

But I have these two new cards that I presumed would work in Crossfire in XP. But from what I heard CrossfireX is Vista only.

CCC does have a help page on getting crossfireX to work on XP(just some basic info) but makes me think that it is compatible with XP if they stick a help page in about it.

But I have not noticed much difference with crossfire on or off on 3Dmark or FPS gains in games like Crysis.

Thanks...

(I'm using a ASUS P5Q premium board, so the second PCI-E 2.0 is x8 link but I still should have big increase regardless)

CrossfireX is just Crossfire, but renamed, with some minor revisions. I had two 4850s Crossfire'd in Windows XP, they ran fine.
It is strange that you haven't noticed any difference between one and two 4870s.

:welcome:

One of the best ways to test if CF is actually working or not is to take one card out...load up 3D Mark 06 and then run only the Pixel Sharder test...remember/write down the FPS...after shutting back down...reinstall the 2nd card and repeat the test again...if its the same as before...CF is not enabled...you will see 1.5 - 2x's your FPS when CF is installed correctly on that test...

All I tried was disabling it then re-abling it through CCC and using 3D-Mark both times and very little difference if any.

I'll try taking card out completely tomorrow, then do few tests.
It just in my case getting the 2nd Hd4870 out and in again is a nightmare with the two PCI-x6 connectors aswell.

I understand what you mean...I am running a 3870X2 and a single 3870...I am pretty much in the same boat as you are :-/

I guess i am somewhat in the same boat.

Ran 3dmark06

Single 4870:

1 - Canyon Flight (SM 3.0) 71.97 FPS
2 - Deep Freeze (SM 3.0) 83.56 FPS

Then Crossfire

1 - Canyon Flight (SM 3.0) 119.78 FPS
2 - Deep Freeze (SM 3.0) 87.45 FPS

So first test got a huge increase but the second almost nothing.

However testing in games I see the improvements usually. Some not so much.

One thing to keep in mind is the speed of the cpu. It seems rather easy for the cpu to bog down the system when running two cards. Perhaps you might need to up the clocks on the cpu a bit.........

OP..

One good test that I have been using is Devil May Cry 4 benchmark.

I see pretty much 100% scaling with crossfire on that game.

Did the test with all max settings to ultra high thats selectable and 8xAA in game with CCC set to AA application control w/ edge detect. So 8x AA turned into 24x CFAA.

I suggest you use it. I saw 100% scaling overall. My cpu is 24/7 e8400 3.825ghz that while in 3dmark06 causes the cards to be held back it seems works wonders in games.

A good clocked E8400 probably shouldn't bottleneck them. Or at least I hope so. I'm getting E8500 and 4870 CF too :)

One thing to keep in mind is the speed of the cpu. It seems rather easy for the cpu to bog down the system when running two cards. Perhaps you might need to up the clocks on the cpu a bit.........

Well I have a E8500 that should hardly bottleneck.

Im going test about with 3Dmark, SiSandra, crysis benchmark in a minute with crossfirex on/off see if theres any difference.

to be honest the thought of taking the 2nd card out and in again is giving me a headache lol, it was a nightmare when building the rig last week.

And here is a pic of what I am seeing when I have crossfire enabled, but I do think gpu-z has some bugs so Im not paying major attention, still worries me bit though.

Last edited:
I am betting you still dont have CF enabled...GPU-Z doesnt have "bugs" when it comes to showing CF...

Are both of your cards shwoing up in the drop down on CCC?

Attachments

• GPU-Z.jpg
    GPU-Z.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 150
Are both of your cards shwoing up in the drop down on CCC?

Yup, and CCC overdrive menu gives me temp and GPU load of each card and there speeds.

As far as I am aware I do have CF enabled, Unless there is something I am meant to do that I was unaware of.

Last edited:
Back