• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What brand of CompactFlash?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

I'm looking to get a 2GB CF card...newegg has Transcend and A-Data cards that are 40MB/s for $22, a Sandisk 20MB/s card for $32, and a Kingston "266x" (dunno how fast that is in MB/s) for $33. I'm tempted to get the Transcend or A-Data, but I don't have any experience with these brands.

FYI: This card will be used in a Sony Alpha A300 which shoots at ~2.5 frames/sec.

Go with the A-Data. They're as reliable as any others out there, and they're cheap because they lack the brand hype (Kingston FTL, Sandisk even moreso). I imagine the Transcend would be fine as well, I've just never personally used them.

Oh, and 266x = ~40MB/sec.

I wouldn't buy anything but Sandisk if i was you. They make the best stuff. I have gone through many other brands in SD cards, flash drives, and compact flash cards, and Sandisk are the only ones still alive.

Go with the A-Data. They're as reliable as any others out there, and they're cheap because they lack the brand hype (Kingston FTL, Sandisk even moreso). I imagine the Transcend would be fine as well, I've just never personally used them.

Oh, and 266x = ~40MB/sec.
I don't get it...A-Data's 2GB 40MB/sec card is $22, while Sandisk's ~45MB/sec card is $120? There's got to be something more than branding to that...

There's got to be something more than branding to that...

Yeah, I wonder what it could be?

You assume it has to be better because it costs more... how many other people do you think buy them thinking the exact same thing? They can charge that much because they can get that much.

Not to say Sandisk products are bad, not by a longshot. Just that they're really not any better than a lot of other stuff out there either.

Back