• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 on water fried psu or mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wijszman

Registered
A mate of mine has been running a Q6600 rig for half a year now, doing 3,6 ghz on air with vcore 1.4 (bios setting, windows 1.37). Load temps were around 75 degrees max.
Recently he added watercooling to his setup (cpu and gpu) and his temps were a lot better so he tried oc'ing a little more, he bumped his FSB to 420 and added a little vcore (1.45 in bios, in windows this drooped to 1.4). Prime failed in a few mins with this setting so he tweaked the VTT a little and set it at 1.3.

This setting primed longer (temps around 65 degrees) , but after 10 mins or so the system shut down (no blue screen at all). After this the system would not start at all anymore, on flicking the power button a few mobo leds blink up but that's it.

Most likely something in his system got fried, but what could cause this? Temps were normal, voltages were not abnormally high and it was only a few minutes at best.

Update--
Just spoke to him and he tried another PSU, didn't work, other cpu, didn't work, the strange thing is that if he posts without his 8pin connector plugged (for cpu power) then the leds indicate a cpu damaged or badly installed prolem. So it looks like the mobo/cpu socket has been fried or something?

How is this possible, crappy mobo (MSI neo fr2)?

Last edited:
mobo: MSI NEO2 FR
mem: geil black dragon 8gb
cpu: q6600
graphics: 8800 gts oc

What more specs do you need?

He tried another psu already, same problem.
The original psu worked fine on another mobo he had, so the PSU is not broken.

I am pretty sure the mobo is broken, but I dont understand why, since he didnt really stress it that much.

Remove evrything from the case. Clear cmos by removing cmos battery. Place mobo on non-conductive surface eg: cardboard, wood, glass, plexi. Install the minimum:

Cpu with heatsink ( not the waterblock)
1 stick of ram
Video card
Psu
Mouse & Keyboard

Refer to the owner's manual for the PWR pins on the board. All you want to do is to power the board up and get into the bios.

If the board does power up, then you know it's something else.

We needed the brand and wattage of the psu being used in this system. Just because it powers the other system, doesn't mean it can power the first one.

Brand and specs of both psu's would be helpful as well.

He was running on water for almost 2 weeks. He checked for leakage but no signs of it.
The PSU worked fine on his system before, is it possible that it suddenly doesn't work anymore on his system, but does on another?

I'll ask him to test a 'minimal' setup.

He just tested the board out of the case, with PSU and 1 ram stick. Still same issue.

well he bought a new mobo, and everything works fine again so the board was broken for sure.

Any ideas how it's possible to kill the mobo that easily?

Back