• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

expanding horizens

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just shoot

I've been wanting to play around with linux and never new where to start. I work with a guy who is a linux nut and says it will kill windows one day! I don't know if I believe that but I sure would like to know what all the excitement is.

Anyway he brought me in a copy of mandrake redhat 7.1 and said that this will be a place to start, problem is he wasn't sure if it would recognize my hard drive (see sig) partioned into 4-20 gigs. running raid 0.

I would like to dual boot with win98se this at least until I can get around and understand and of course play.

I use it to ICS with the wife's machine.

Thanks in advance.

I know that linux can recognise a lot of RAID cards but I don't know about software raid. I think it should be able to see the array.

What are you running now? Win98 with hardware raid? Or NT4/Win2k/Winxp with software raid?

Linux could be made to work with the hardware raid array, if its one of those cheap IDE cards, but not at install time. If its software raid from winnt, then it won't recognize it at all.

XWRed1 said:
What are you running now? Win98 with hardware raid? Or NT4/Win2k/Winxp with software raid?

Linux could be made to work with the hardware raid array, if its one of those cheap IDE cards, but not at install time. If its software raid from winnt, then it won't recognize it at all.
It has to be hardware raid if it is the mobo in the Signature being an ABIT KT7 Raid, Find out what the chip is for your raid. From there we should be able to help you out more.

J

One thing I see that puzzles me is that you have two 60Gig drives = 120G. RAID 0 means stripe doesn't it.
Do you JUST have 4x 20GB partitions (=80GB) or is the rest used for windows.

I guess I should have been clearer its a kt7a raid ( hardware raid ) and two 40 gig IBM 60GXP drives running raid 0 which gives me 80 gig total or 78 and some change. I have it partioned into 4 20 gig partions ( C,D,E,F ) I presently share F with the wifes computer, basically has mp3 and waves.

I would like to put linux on D and dual boot.

Thanks again Guys.

He's got an HPT370 ship on his board, which the Linux kernel seems to support for raid, but I doubt the kernel in the Redhat installer supports it, so he'd need to install to a non-raid drive first, and go from there.

You might want to try installing it on a spare HDD (non RAID) and then image it across to D.

O.k I'm going to give it a try. I did find that the box the software came says 7.2 but the disk is only 7.0 does it make a difference?? Is 7.2 that much better? OR is their a place I can download a newer verision or better thats open source?

If the disc is 7.0 and the box is 7.2 I would take it back and get the proper disc. Newer is better.

It seems that Suse doesn't keep an install ISO available on the net for Intel processors, so unless you really scrounge around, you'll need to buy it.

XWRed1 said:
He's got an HPT370 ship on his board, which the Linux kernel seems to support for raid, but I doubt the kernel in the Redhat installer supports it, so he'd need to install to a non-raid drive first, and go from there.

The RedHat 7.2 installer will see the drives on the HPT controller... somewhat... Well, with mine anyway,(Abit BE6-II v2 Raid) it would get about 20% done and hang every time. I fixed this by installing Linux to a drive NOT on the Raid controller....

I fixed this by installing Linux to a drive NOT on the Raid controller....

Yea, thats probably the best way to go, unless you have a REAL hardware raid solution, that is transparent to the os. Once you've got Linux up and running, its farily trivial to get most of it moved onto a raid array, once you get the raid drivers sorted out.

Back