• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proper Amount of Thermal Grease?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamemaster3000

Registered
I googled it but I wanted the most current info possible for my Intel Dual Core e8500 which is running way too hot.

I'm getting really varying answers on how much to use:

1. The OEM thermal pad had a TON on it.

2. The Arctic Silver website says to put a single line down the center, but I'd like even more detailed instructions as to how thick that line should be. I also don't understand why you wouldn't spread it yourself.

3. Some websites suggest putting a latex glove on and spreading it all over until you can see the metal peeking through.

I'm going to try putting on a VERY small amount and spreading it quite thin. It stands to reason I'm filling in microscopic cracks, not gluing two pieces of metal together.

gamemaster3000

P.S. I think I finally got all the pushpins in ALL the way.

Last edited:
:welcome: to the forums!

First a suggestion if you are overclocking - You do not wanna use the stock cooler if you are going to be pushing that E8500, they simply aren't meant to handle the cooling needs for overclocked processors. Also, pushpins are a PITA, even if you don't wanna spend too much on a top of the line cooler, you'll thank yourself for at least purchasing any aftermarket cooler with a bolt-through kit ;)

That aside, I'd suggest using a dab of thermal paste the size of a grain of rice(a little variance is fine). I've used the same technique on an E2180, E8200, and two E8400's with excellent results. Don't worry about coverage, let the HS pressure do the work of spreading.

Great article!

I've spread the paste really thin this time with a cut up credit card, and that was actually worse. Realtemp says 52 Celcius at idle and Speedfan says 57 at idle!!!

I thought the OEM heatsink would at least be capable of running the processor it came with. I also read several pages of reviews at Newegg.com and didn't see that many complaints about it. Maybe everyone just knew not to use it. ;-)

Hopefully a good heatsink will solve my problem...I highly doubt it's airflow given that the Core0 temperature is 50C as fast as I can click Realtemp after it boots up.

what cooler are u using? this is the third thread that u have started all with basicly the same issue ans ur still not saying anything about ur system specs. stock cooler is my guess of what u have

Yah, I'm a n00b. I have been using the stock heatsink and it's been totally inadequate. Having done 3-4 hours of reading tonight and re-seating the heatsink twice it's obviously not the thermal paste.

As soon as I get off work tomorrow I'm going straight to Fry's.

e8500, Radeon HD4870, XCLIO with 2 25cm fans (I'm thinking that was a mistake, I'll never get negative pressure with it), ASRock P45R2000 Motherboard, and a Corsair TX750W power supply.

Great article!

I've spread the paste really thin this time with a cut up credit card, and that was actually worse. Realtemp says 52 Celcius at idle and Speedfan says 57 at idle!!!

I thought the OEM heatsink would at least be capable of running the processor it came with. I also read several pages of reviews at Newegg.com and didn't see that many complaints about it. Maybe everyone just knew not to use it. ;-)

Hopefully a good heatsink will solve my problem...I highly doubt it's airflow given that the Core0 temperature is 50C as fast as I can click Realtemp after it boots up.

You spread it over the HSF, I have tried many ways and by far the worst way was to try to spread it out with anything, after putting on the HSF you often end up with little air pockets, and that is not good. Apply as shown and let the presure of the HSF spread the TIM. And remember not to much.

I'm also kind of in the same boat...I just got a ninja mini, a tube of Arctic silver 5, and an amd be 2400... so I should just dab a small amount (half size of a grain of rice) on the middle of the chip then place the mini on top and then turn it clockwise then the other way? btw would it be better for me to seat the chip in the motherboard first or attach the mini to the chip first before sticking it into the mobo?

ahhhh i dont think its posible to attach the cooler to the chip before putting it in the socket.

that being said put it in the socket first cos it needs to be secured by its self then the HSF goes ontop

if your using Arctic Silver then just follow the directions on their website...I know its a little hard to tell but since your using that then use the directions they made...I looked at them today as I got to install a dual Opteron...and wanted to make sure I got it right....

You spread it over the HSF, I have tried many ways and by far the worst way was to try to spread it out with anything, after putting on the HSF you often end up with little air pockets, and that is not good. Apply as shown and let the presure of the HSF spread the TIM. And remember not to much.

Yup. The pressure between the HSF and the heatsink base does better than spreading it manually. You don't even need to cover the whole HSF surface, by the way. The amount is basically a rice grain to the centre or a bit more if it's a bigger AMD processor.

Thanks guys, I went from stock cooler -> Zalman 9700. While running WoW on max settings, I went from shutdowns at 75C to a peak of 51C so far. I'm running at 39-40 now at idle. Still a little hotter than I want but not a whole lot I can do about it. Hopefully the thermal cycles will knock a few degrees off, though.

Now it's off to RAM timing land. Error 132 and 134 FTL.

What matters more in a practical sense is how it fares under load. Various cooling setups have different qualities. There are the max temps, the average temps, the heat distribution. Ultimately you just don't want your CPU to overheat and you'd rather not lose your hearing while you are at it. I'm surprised 9700 didn't cross 51C at peak, actually...

Back