• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using liquid metal instead of conventional thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
As I'm working on my next build, I became interested in liquid metal and its usage. I wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with liquid metal being used as a thermal paste. It seems like most people use liquid metal to replace the thermal insulation between the chip and the IHS. For me, I'm more interested in its use case with replacing conventional thermal paste. Is it worth it? How often have you had to change it? Whats some of the better risk vs rewards?

Worth it? That's up to you.

The pastes are more costly, but do improve temps 1-2C over the median pastes.

Are you looking for every degree C you can get? Then go for it. :)

There are several comprehensive reviews showing performance. I'm mobile atm, but google 'thermal paste roundup'.

AFAIK, it doesnt need to be reapplied any more or less than others.

Last edited:
I have tried LM on top of the lid on at least a couple of builds and found about a 2 degree Celcius improvement as ED described. On one occasion using it that way nearly created a disaster for me when I went to remove the heat sink as lots of little metal flakes fell down onto the circuitry of the motherboard and the video card. I got them all removed with compressed air but missed one that had lodged down around the pins of the video card. I thought the card was fried but finally I spotted that one remaining flake and when I removed it the card worked again. So for me, the expense of LM and the electrical risk does not warrant it's use for 2 C improvement in temps. Concerning the expense, I would also point out that with each application on top of the heat sink you would be using 2-3x as much LM as you would if using it on the die because of the larger surface area.

Whats the comparison of 1-2C difference with LM? Which thermal paste are you comparing against?

Whats the comparison of 1-2C difference with LM? Which thermal paste are you comparing against?

AC MX2 or MX4. I can't remember which I was using then but they are very similar.

ED, that's what I had been trying to find for the past 48 hrs. I had remember seeing this article.

I've heard too many nightmares about cleaning and working with it plus I'm a bit cheap. Too small of a gain for the price of admission for me. No experience with it though so keep that in mind.

I'm reading the article now. Only 3c difference from AS-5?! Not worth it to me.

Last edited:
I decided to go with the good o'l fashioned thermal paste.

I like how you don't say which it is.... it's like a cliffhanger.... though not so sure there is a payoff. :rofl:

Last edited:
I'll watch the commercials while waiting for the exciting conclusion of thermal paste.

I decided to go with the good o'l fashioned thermal paste.

Good call, Dear Sir!:thup:

I would say a drop in 3° is important if you hit 100°C and cpu throttles. That way, staying at 97 will keep you from losing performance.

From what I have heard....
Trying to remove LM from the CPU can void your warranty. To completely remove the LM sometimes removes the Letters and Numbers on the IHS. Thus voiding any warranty that you may have :(
Silicone Lottery : Does not recommend the use of LM for cold benching. LM will shrink under cold - Thus you (can or will) lose (some or all) contact with the IHS and HS :(

From what I have heard....
Trying to remove LM from the CPU can void your warranty. To completely remove the LM sometimes removes the Letters and Numbers on the IHS. Thus voiding any warranty that you may have :(
Silicone Lottery : Does not recommend the use of LM for cold benching. LM will shrink under cold - Thus you (can or will) lose (some or all) contact with the IHS and HS :(

Haha. true true.... so does manually overclocking your processor lol....

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Whats the comparison of 1-2C difference with ........

Runs and lowers room temp with A/C unit ;). 2c is a total of 3.6f - Thus you could make any paste perform better than another. End cooling result.... the atmosphere around you (assuming ambient cooling apparatus.)

And think. Idiots put it on there shunt resistors to "Mod" them. Like Steve from Gamers nexus. The. People do it and ask why there resistor fell off after a few weeks because they did what he did and don't understand rohs solder is an alloy and that liquid metal has stuff in it that attacks parts of that alloy and after it's started you cAn not stop it and it does spread.

Personally the 2c drop is not worth the risk. Also the stuff reacts with hydrogen. And what has Hydrogen? Water. What's in the air when it's humid? Reaction is pretty slow but that's why it "drys out". People need to understand what it is and what is used in it. Most won't list even on the MSDS's.

Lapped heatsink/ water block and a lapped ihs would not only be safer but also provide a much better improvement for the temps. I never seen a 100% flat ihs. Lapping when done right works wonders.

Remember lapping out old 737's and 939's?

Back