• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

home theater+tv hookup??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boris_37

Think this is the right area please someone move if it isn't.

I setup a home theater at my sisters BF's house, he has a bunch of things right now i guess.

1) TV, sharp something... with only 1 HDMI
2) Shaw HD digital Reciever
3) Sony Home theater/DVD system
4) HDMI hub

Now i set it up since he has only 1 hdmi to his tv that he would get video for both those things going to his TV.

Now my question is. How would i set this up so that he has the audio coming out of the digital reciever to the home theater without using the 2.1 coax cables?

Would another optical cable be my only way? I don't know if the reciever has optical in or out(it doesn't say) but if i plugged that into the reciever would it fix the issue?

As of right now he has a coax cable going to the reciever but it only gives 2.1 audio.

I dunno i just couldn't figure out any other way to hook it up. and thanks!

When you say coax cable I take it you mean the RG-6 or RG-59 cable and not a digital coax cable, which handles the same info as a optical cable.

The only ways that I know of to get 5.1 is:
5.1 analog cables...6 individual RCA style cables
A digital coax cable
A optical cable
A HDMI cable

well it has hdmi out but not hdmi in... so would an optical cable from the reciever(assuming its digital out i assume it is) be the only option for 5.1 audio?

whoops you said that. k i will try... gotta find a cable for cheap though

Back