• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-P35-DS3R e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agour

Registered
GA-P35-DS3R dead?

Hi,
I have had a gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R board for about 6 months now, but today my pc has decided to no longer boot.
Yesterday, after closing down b=my computer, I came back a few minutes later to find that the pc was off, but the lights were still on on my usb mouse (doesnt normally happen) so I proceeded to turn the pc off at the wall, and it hasnt turned on since.
After pressing the power button, nothing happens, not even a single beep. Im unsure as to wheter it is my mobo, or the PSU, or how to check.
The PSU was rather cheap, ( Arctic Power 700W http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124927) so I wouldnt be suprised if it gave up the ghost. Im also at university now, so I dont have the option of swapping parts with another computer or anything.

I have the money to replace the mobo and PSU if necessary, but only want to but whats completely necessary to get my computer working again.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
have you already tried removing the cmos battery? also check over your connections. Try powering on the board using the power pins on the board.
you can also try "jumping" your psu to see if it can actually power on.

have you already tried removing the cmos battery? also check over your connections. Try powering on the board using the power pins on the board.
you can also try "jumping" your psu to see if it can actually power on.

I cleared the cmos using the jumper, but to no avail.I will try the others tomorrow when im not tired.

I suspect a bad power supply. Take PS to local computer store and see if they will check it for you. They shouldn't charge a lot for it.

Tried all that davidja suggested, and the fans on the power supply fans started to spin, so I guess the mobo is screwed.

Would it be worth just ordering a new mobo, or should I take my psu to the local shop (not very local unfortunately) to get it tested?

I dont fancy taking my whole rig in, as I know it would end up costing me some silly amoung of money for the shop people to do not very much with it.

you tried power on using the pins on the board to rule out a bad switch?
i'd say do a pull down to bare essentials and try again, something might be shorting the board etc.

And try 'jumping' the PSU w/o it hooked to anything to see if it runs. Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about. I think it's the green wire to any black.

Also try running barebones outside of the case to eliminate any short possibility and to try and use process of elimination to see if another component is bad.

I tried doing the pins thing to rule off the switch, and like I said before, the PSU did turn on when I jumped it.

I will try doing everything outside the case asap, see if it makes a difference.

I know you said you tried the clear cmos jumper, but try it again, but also pull the battery out of the mobo too. Leave it like that for an hour or so and then put the battery back in and see if you can boot. I know that worked on my older GA-965P-DS3 board when it got to where it wouldn't boot (just like your board). And you can do that without yanking the mobo out of the case too.

Funnily enough, after pulling everything out the case, the computer has decided it wants to work.

I am going to try plugging everything back in tomorrow, see if any particular component is to blame. Is it possible though, for the computer be trying to draw too much power from the PSU and it cant handle it? I currently have a 8800gt, E6750 cpu, 3 hdd's (one is a raptor), dvd drive, 4 case fans, and a fan speed controller.
I know 700watts should be enough, but with the PSU being cheap, it wouldnt suprise me if it doesnt pump out 700watts.

its not only a matter of watts but the amperage on the relevant rails...in any case i would say you get a reputable power supply.
at least we're making some form of progress and the board is confirmed working.

Yeah, it could very well be a power issue due to the cheap psu. A quality 500-600 watt psu is way more than what you need with your present setup. I was looking at ebuyer and they have the Corsair HX520 for £67.17 inc. VAT. That's a very good psu and I would recommend it in a heartbeat for your needs, if it turns out you need a new psu.

Think I will re-build my pc to see if it crashes again, if not I will upgrade the PSU anyway, get some tidy cabling done.

There isnt anything which looks like it may have caused the pc to not boot atm, although there we're some loose cables, but they we're moved after the first time the pc wouldnt boot.

Turns out it was the USB ports on the top of my pc that stop it from booting. They have been playing up for a while, so I just unplugged them.

Got a new PSU anyway, 700watt coolermaster real power one. Figured if I spend that extra bit now, it will be futureproofed for quite a while. Modular cables are so much better too, my pc is actually neat inside.

Back