• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recent Rebuild, Now BSOD & Rebooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Experimental

Registered
I recently rebuilt my computer. I reused just a few parts from my old system, such as the ROM drive, two hard drives (with XP still installed) and a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS.

The new parts that I'm using are as follows: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R mobo, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 CPU, Thermaltake W0116RU 750W power supply, Corsair Dominator 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500), & a Powercolor ATI 4870 video card.

Got everything put together and the computer boots fine. As soon as it starts into Windows (I start to see the Windows XP load screen) the computer blue screens for a split second and then reboots. Kinda hard to diagnose when you can't read the blue screen before the reboot.

First thoughts were that it's probably a RAM issue. I ran Memtest86 and it came back clean. Since the sound card is older, I thought maybe the new mobo didn't like it, so I took that out...didn't help. Tried running one stick of RAM at a time. Nada.

The only idea I have left is to try running the XP disc to repair the hard drive if it has become corrupt. That would mean actually finding the disc first of course...could be time consuming. :shrug:

Any advice? Thanks for your help!

If windows xp was installed while the HDD was on another motherboard then you will either need to reinstall on the new motherboard or try running the repair feature from the windows disk. You will get that blue screen "almost" every time you swap motherboards.
I say almost because it has been known to work with some motherboards, typically the same model of board or the same controller works as well.

If windows xp was installed while the HDD was on another motherboard then you will either need to reinstall on the new motherboard or try running the repair feature from the windows disk. You will get that blue screen "almost" every time you swap motherboards.
I say almost because it has been known to work with some motherboards, typically the same model of board or the same controller works as well.

Thanks for the response Wolfy. The only reason I didn't try that to begin with is because I had done it before with another computer and it worked out fine. I will give the XP disc a go and it sounds like that should resolve it. I'll post back what happens.

Thanks again! :clap:

A fresh install of XP got me up and running. Running the repair feature was never an option unfortunately.

Thanks again for your help! Now I'm looking forward to seeing what this setup can do! :D

Back