• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OLDER GAMES ON VISTA?? NOT WORKING.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mkoersvelt

:screwy:I have Vista Home premium.
Been trying to install Max Payne, RTCW, ET, and a few others and the sound is missing, or they just won't install at all!! (Thanks Bill).
I've been reading on various sites about patches, moving Open GL files etc...
Anyone have any sucess with this??

For the ones missing sound, they may use DirectSound. Try installing Creative ALchemy.

How do you get there??

Thanks guys.

Browse to where the games are installed (may be C:\Program Files\whatever game or whoever made it) and find the .exe that runs the game, like for example, my Oblivion .exe is located at "C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Oblivion.exe". Once you find that file, right click on it, and go to "Properties". When the next window comes up, the second tab should be compatibility mode. I haven't had to use compatibility mode just yet, but I do use the option under that tab to disable visual themes, since Aero does seem to sometimes affect the games playability.

I've installed ET and RTCW on Vista x64 with no problems at all. I don't recall having to use compatibility mode or the Alchemy driver on my SB card. Alchemy is only needed to enable EAX enhancements, it is not required for sound in older games. I get sound for both on my Audigy 2 and onboard.

I don't recommend disabling DEP, at least not system wide, only for the game, as this supposedly helps prevent buffer overflow exploits.

Any specific details on each game?

Details.

RTCW - won't install at all. "DemoShield Runtime Player has stopped working".

COD 1 / 2 - work fine.

Max Payne - no sound and crashes after the first cut scene.

Medal of Honor are all fine.

GTA Vice City is fine as well.

I couldnt get Chaos Theory to work :( i tried all the tips i saw in the forums, and no matter what, it wouldnt work. Maybe i missed something, but i tried pretty hard. Good luck in figuring it out.

For RTCW, have you tried to install without a firewall or AV going? I don't think it's Vista OS specific, more than likely, an app that's currently running may be the problem.

I couldnt get Chaos Theory to work :( i tried all the tips i saw in the forums, and no matter what, it wouldnt work. Maybe i missed something, but i tried pretty hard. Good luck in figuring it out.

you need to install the starforce drivers for it to install in vista. (just google starforce drivers u should find them) they were however at the centre of some controversy as they were accused of being spyware or something and they were unable to be uninstalled once on your pc supposedly! it is cdrom security protection like securom.

i used them and didnt have a problem and they released a removal tool on their site for them for anyone concerned!!

cool game btw, i liked it!! :)

I could get rtcw to install on vista, went into my clan server and then after I made sure it worked, rebooted and it crashed. Vista spent 2 hours with its repair stuff and said it was un-repairable.
I decided to dual boot vista and xp.

:bang head
For RTCW, have you tried to install without a firewall or AV going? I don't think it's Vista OS specific, more than likely, an app that's currently running may be the problem.

RTCW - haven't tried that but what about "DemoShield"?? I don't hink it reconizes the OS?
ET-installed fine. Crashes when I try to play. Turned Norton off, same thing. I get "connection Interupted"
I'm running DSL high speed.

You may have to update punkbuster manually. In the ET directory, there's a PB folder, run the pb .exe in a dos prompt to update it or there's a gui updater from punkbuster.

I do recall having an older game or two where I had issues with the new Vista firewall, may be the same for AV or anti-spyware also or anything that may hook into the kernel to interfere with normal operation.

But once I got ET and RTCW going, I didn't reinstall. I just backed up my program file folders for those games to keep my custom maps, settings and all.

Uninstall the game and install it to a folder on another drive (or if not just NOT in any program files folder). Most problems are access rights to the folder getting in the way of the program being able to run properly.

meant to say. browse the disk b4 installing and rightclick the .exe and try install in compat mode from there, it worked with deus ex when all else failed! also go to realtek and update your onboard sound as that stopped games like cod4 from working for me!!

I hate to revive an older thread but I also noticed when updating my sound driver for Realtek HD, they have the 3D Soundback app which supposedly helps solve any sound problems with older games on Vista using the Realtek codec. Anyone have any experience with it?

Edit: Reading up, it's apparently analogous to Alchemy and seems to function better in the interface but still seems lacking as far as working with older games. I will hold off until it's not beta but seems I could use this for COD 1 & 2.

Last edited:
I'm seeing lots of issues with Vista / Starforce Drivers.
Think I'll pass.
I copied the disk of RTCW into dir:D on my drive in it's own folder. Still nothing.
I keep getting the Demo Shield "Not Running". I don't get it - WTF??
Turned capatibility mode onto XP sp2 - nothing.
Tried enable / disable the other boxes - nothing.

Back