• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

well that sucks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technoViking

Knocked over my xbox and totally destroyed my game that is like 2 days old :bang head

I guess I'll not stand it up anymore.

This happen to anyone else?

Just make sure you put it in a place where you can't kick it over. If it's on the floor don't stand it up, but if it's on a shelf then it should be fine. I was trying to system link two 360s and I tugged on the ethernet cord too much and the 360 fell over with the game inside of it while it was on. It was scratched, but I took it to a local game shop that had a machine that repairs scratched cds/dvds and it works fine now.

Yeah if you stand it up it takes longer to die lol. Seriously

Thanks for the
troll_2.jpg

No there is no advatage, just ergonomics. In fact a lot of people have had issues with disc scractching or ring burning in the upright postion, whether or not the machine is moved while playing. This is not a Microsoft problem, Microsoft did not build the drive, Toshiba did so if you want to blame somebody.........

I think Microsoft has learned its' lesson on the 360 though and their next system is probably going to be as bulletproof as the original X-box whose only problem was bad power cords and a crappy Thomson DVD drive. Even those problems weren't as widespread as the 360's though.

Thanks for the 'snip'

No there is no advatage, just ergonomics. In fact a lot of people have had issues with disc scractching or ring burning in the upright postion, whether or not the machine is moved while playing. This is not a Microsoft problem, Microsoft did not build the drive, Toshiba did so if you want to blame somebody.........

I think Microsoft has learned its' lesson on the 360 though and their next system is probably going to be as bulletproof as the original X-box whose only problem was bad power cords and a crappy Thomson DVD drive. Even those problems weren't as widespread as the 360's though.

Yeah, it will be a reinforced titanium box with LN2. That and it will have wheels, no one knows why though.

I've never stood mine up but then again i got good airflow all around it. Above, below and both sides have at least 1 1/2+ inches of clearence. I wouldn't even think of standing my unit upright. Just hearing early stores of units falling over or disc scratching there was no way I would of attempted that. While it might help slightly for cooling it puts more stress on the DVD drive, but it does get the airflow around most of the box, unlike sitting on a flat surface.

Theres pluses and minuses but the best I can say is flat, having it lay down and propped up on something to get airflow below the unit.

If you are THAT concerned with cooling it, the BEST thing you can do is also one of the easiest and cheapest. Get a laptop cooling pad and set it on it. The WORST thing you can do is get one of those NYKO or other brand intercooler things that snap over the fans in the rear. That is a near certain death sentence.

If you are THAT concerned with cooling it, the BEST thing you can do is also one of the easiest and cheapest. Get a laptop cooling pad and set it on it. The WORST thing you can do is get one of those NYKO or other brand intercooler things that snap over the fans in the rear. That is a near certain death sentence.

Whats wrong with the NYKO intercooler?? I just got one to put on mine, this is the first time I've heard anyone say anything bad about it.

yea the nyko cooler really didn't help my 360 out, it ended up overheating again. but now with my new 360 i got blocks under it so it stands 2 inches away from the surface and i can feel the heat difference, touching the bottom of my 360 didn't burn my hand anymore lol

Whats wrong with the NYKO intercooler?? I just got one to put on mine, this is the first time I've heard anyone say anything bad about it.

This has been floating around just a little after they came out. More or less summery was the added fans added increased air turbulence inside the case and causes worse tempatures because airflow is moving as nicely.

my new 360 i got blocks under it so it stands 2 inches away from the surface and i can feel the heat difference, touching the bottom of my 360 didn't burn my hand anymore lol

Had that with my system from day 1 for me. I wanted to do everything to keep it cooler than typical.

Back