• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ 2x4Gb P45 special

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frog_Qc

Hi everybody,

Edit: I got my new kit, see result further in this thread. Those ram give good result for now.

I'm trying to get more info on those sticks. I got them with my new rig (see sig). I'm currently waiting for a RMA on those since 1 dimm died after 3 days...:bang head but i can wait since im still on 1 dimm (4Gb:))

Anyone have any info of which chip they are using on those stick? i got the vista upgrade kit since i dont have the gold or platinum version available. Any of you have info on how they can overclock or anything else...I can't find any review about those sticks... Im currently using timing 5-5-5-18 instead of 5-6-6-18. at stock voltage.

Thanks for whatever you know about those.

Frog

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to get more info on those sticks. I got them with my new rig (see sig). I'm currently waiting for a RMA on those since 1 dimm died after 3 days...:bang head but i can wait since im still on 1 dimm (4Gb:))

Anyone have any info of which chip they are using on those stick? i got the vista upgrade kit since i dont have the gold or platinum version available. Any of you have info on how they can overclock or anything else...I can't find any review about those sticks... Im currently using timing 5-5-5-18 instead of 5-6-6-18. at stock voltage.

Thanks for whatever you know about those.

Frog

Most likely those are Powechips, as are most of the 2x2GB sticks these days. They don't scale with voltage (in fact more than 2.0v probably won't be necessary). The run pretty cool (extra fans won't be needed).

Hey thanks for this info.. Im trying to find over the web the right chip since they are 4Gb module...

Do you know if the powerchip clock well? can i hope to reach 1200?

Most powerchips are rated for 1000 or 1066MHz. Expect it to top out around 1100MHz at the max with 5-5-5-15 timings and 2.1ish volts.

My OCZ set ( non P45) tops out @ 1066, 5-5-5-15, 2.2v. never took the spreaders off so not sure what's under the hood.

Last edited:
Seeing as how these are 4GB modules, not 2GB modules I don't know if experience w/ 2GB modules will be accurate. Going from 1GB modules to 2GB modules OCing expectations changed a lot, and the early 2GB modules didn't OC well at all.

You're the 1st person I've seen w/ 4GB modules on here, so you might have to be the guinea pig.

nice overclock there nebulous!
I hope i can let them in 1:1 ratio. Which im not for now...just on "auto" so ram at 400 and cpu at 1333fsb, Im still on the test... I can't wait to get my fitting for my 4870x2's waterblock... Its the only thing im waiting to get my waterloop back in... Then i will start testing overcocking... Not to much since my dimm of ram in on RMA...For my final setup im waiting on the HR05 sli/IFX Northbridge cooler (from thermalright)for my southbridge and my new pair of ram.. then i will be an happy boy :D I hope i can reach 3,8Ghz on my cpu, my NB will be on water to, thermalright I/O regulator to...

I will be happy to test those for you and post it back here... It's still life time warranty soo...i can play with them :D I hope they make those way to good and better clocker than ever :D (let me dream a lil bit) otherwise, i will use a strap. I'm really surprise that nobody reviewed or tried those... are they affraid?

I think i will start to play with it a lil tonight, i wont play with the volt since i dont want to burn the last dimm i got... I need my computer :p

Seeing as how these are 4GB modules, not 2GB modules I don't know if experience w/ 2GB modules will be accurate. Going from 1GB modules to 2GB modules OCing expectations changed a lot, and the early 2GB modules didn't OC well at all.

You're the 1st person I've seen w/ 4GB modules on here, so you might have to be the guinea pig.
They are 2GB sticks times four.

Yeah I'd see how far they can go with stock or near-stock voltage first before juicing them. If you read the OCZ forums you'll see they often recommend little to no voltage increases for max speed out of the 2GB Powerchips sticks, maybe register there or at least search and see what they say about the sticks you have.

I found nothing over the web/forum about those new sticks... Its why im asking question here :D It seems im the first so i will post my result back, I will not increase the volt with the stick i got since i want my RMA. Im currenty in 1:1 ratio at 400FSB so my cpu is now a 3,4Ghz. my Ram is stock speed, but i changed the timing to 5-5-5-18 instead of 5-6-6-18, well it was loaded in my bios as 5-5-5-18 and i never had trouble with that..so i let them at those timing :D I will need to wait for my new sticks before doing hard test on those...

Hey guys!

So any of you had time to test 4Gb module ram? After alot of waiting, i finally got my new stick from OCZ. It seems that 2x4Gb of p45 special "vista upgrade" are very hard to find. Even OCZ (canada) did'nt have them in stock. They send me the platinum version for the same price! which timing are way better, platinum is 5-4-4-18 and vista upgrade 5-6-6-18. I'm really happy to finally have my 8Gb on two sticks! I didn't push them in any kind except 10min of memtest. I will do more test and overclocking in a week to be sure the kit is good. For now so far so good. 8Gb is not that much if you doing alot of multitasking, i'm almost always a 50% of ram use with 8Gb now.

So since it took alot of time to have my RMA, any of you have played with those 4Gb stick?

later, an happy Frog

Well keep us up to date. And I would recommend registering on the OCZ forums and getting any tips there, the staff is quite responsive, helpful and knowledgable.

Hey,

I played a lil with my ram. I pumped it just a bit to see if it will stay stable. I lowered the timing to 5-4-4-15 from 5-4-4-18 and overclock to 425Mhz. I know its low but i'm starting. I used memtest (4 instances running) to check my ram a night long. No errors found. I let the Vram stock at 1,8V. I will post more result in higher frequencies later when i will be sure that everything run perfectly for now. Im running on water so no worry about heat.

peace

Back