• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 45nm quad vs. dual analogy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

So, I bought a Q9300 from Gigabit who bought it from hardass a week ago. Since than I have learned a few things about fsb that I didn't know before, like how Quad's hate it but need it. I realized tonight that processor cores can be compared to choosing a girlfriend.

A quad is like a high maintenance smoking hot girl. Sure it's fun to play around, but look at it wrong and it/she likes to get moody. A quad is what everybody wants to have, it's there fantasy to have one and it seems initially like everything would be perfect, but they don't realize that they don't really need it. That girl will get old after the frustration of having to take care of all that heat, and need I say more. When you tell you friends you have it, they are impressed and you are considered lucky

A dual core is like that nice mildly attractive smart girl. While not as cool to look at, she sure is more hardy and happy to see you. Always stable and cool and low maintenance. She is all you really need and will make you the most happy. When you tell your friends about her, they are unimpressed, but you know better.

I'll probably be editing this a little tomorrow so people can understand it more. (I'm pretty tired and angry so..)

...I may be overthinking this.

:rolleyes: Flamebait! Let's not start the old quad vs. dual thing again. The Q9300 is a lower end quad and quad FSB limitations are well known. At least I hope you tried to use it on a P45 board. So if you passed up a fast dual core for it and don't use applications that benefit most from quads...who is to blame? :bang head

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Flamebait! Let's not start the old quad vs. dual thing again. The Q9300 is a lower end quad and quad FSB limitations are well known. At least I hope you tried to use it on a P45 board. So if you passed up a fast dual core for it and don't use applications that benefit most from quads...who is to blame? :bang head

I know, but I was thinking about it last night, I really was just hoping for people to expand on it rather than have a flame war.

I know, but I was thinking about it last night, I really was just hoping for people to expand on it rather than have a flame war.

There is no need for a flame war. They each have there uses. Pick what suites your purposes. If your a pure gamer and get a quad, don't complain about the lower clocks and higher heat, you didn't need it.(not directed at you, talking in general) For those that encode, fold, etc. quads are a blessing and worth the annoyances. I loved my Q6600 and served its encoding purposes wonderfully, when I get to a point I can go back to a desktop it will be a quad. But for the majority of users a dual core is still the better route to takes, future proofing, IMHO, is a stupid idea that never works out and just costs you in both the near and long term.

There is no need for a flame war. They each have there uses. Pick what suites your purposes. If your a pure gamer and get a quad, don't complain about the lower clocks and higher heat, you didn't need it.(not directed at you, talking in general) For those that encode, fold, etc. quads are a blessing and worth the annoyances. I loved my Q6600 and served its encoding purposes wonderfully, when I get to a point I can go back to a desktop it will be a quad. But for the majority of users a dual core is still the better route to takes, future proofing, IMHO, is a stupid idea that never works out and just costs you in both the near and long term.

EXACTLY!

alright, I need to clarify my intentions a little bit. I only meant for this to be a joke, not a flame war. Like it was said above, they both have there purpose'.

ya i dunno wtf craxbax was talkin about its obvious you didnt mean to start a flame war. just an analogy of the good ole dulie vs quad debate.

Back