• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Started my O/C, have a voltage ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kenk2008

Registered
Hi All,

I've started ramping up my overclock. I'm going up with the FSB by 10 at a time. Right now I'm at 410FSB CPU at 3.485ghz and 1.232v, temp is at 53C under P95. I'm at the first add setting under the VID voltage in the BIOS. Do I keep doing this until I get to the speed I want? I know the max vcore is 1.36 so I won't go above that. I would like to achieve 4ghz if I can.

I've got the mem running at 1:1 with the FSB. Is this OK? Or should I manually set it. I forgot to mention it's at 2.1v.

Also, when should I adjust the VTT? Do I do that after I get Prime95 stable at the highest FSB I can get? Same with the NB and SB?

My temps should come down once I lap the IHS and put some new AS MX-2 on so I'm not too worried about them.

Thanks,
Ken

OK, I've bumped up the FSB to 420 and left the mem in auto. The CPU is at 3.57ghz vcore at 1.23. I got an error on P95. Core 0,2,3 are running good. Core 1 failed. Do I bump up the vcore VID to the next step? Or should I add some VTT and NB?

I'm confused!

Thanks for any info!!!
Ken

Thanks Borito!

I'll bump up the NB and VTT to the next step... right now I'm at 420FSB 1.245 VCore CPU at 3.57ghz and no errors on P95 after 15 min. I'm going to bump the FSB by 5 and the VTT, NB, and Vcore to the next step.

Hopefully I can get to 4ghz!

Core 0 is at 53, 1,2,3 are at 47,47,49. NB is at 47C. These are load temps. Good so far?

Running P95 now at 3.61GHZ 425FSB 1.264v. I bumped up the vcore, VTT and NB one more notch. I was getting errors on P95. Seems stable now, Temps are holding 55,46,49,49.

Have you seen pics of my rig yet?

Thanks!!! I've built several rigs before, but this is my first attempt at a serious O/C gaming PC. First attempt at LC also and I'm kinda proud at how it turned out! Had alot of help from great peeps like you on the forums that helped me out too. :)

Hey, that game you've got loaded in the first image looks awfully familiar! (I'm in the beta as well...)

Well... Had to clear my CMOS and start over... it didn't like 3.7ghz, was getting a C1 POST error. Had the Vcore up to 1.32 and the NB was at 1.3, VTT was at 1.12.

Don't know if was a mem issue or not, but I'm thinking the best I'm gonna squeeze out of this CPU is 3.6 :(. I'll play with it tomorrow and see if I can get it to go higher.

Viper! I was wondering if someone would recognize it! :) Haven't had too much time to play it... what I have played was awsome!

Thanks for the help!!! I'll be posting again tomorrow with my results!

Ken

OK, I reset my BIOS and now I get a CF on the POST LED. I can boot just fine, Vista is running good, ran 12 hrs of Prime95 with no errors. I'm running at 3.4 now (8.5x400) and 1.232v. Still have the CF POST Code. It was FF before I oc'd to 3.7.

Any ideas on what that POST is?

I'm going to hold off on the OC until I can figure out what's going on.

Ken

OK, got the POST code back to FF. Cleared the CMOS again and reloaded my last good setup.

Now I'm back to OC'ing! Don't know what I need to do to get it stable at 3.7 or if I can even get it there. Can the 9550 go that high? Or higher?

Ken

OK, got the POST code back to FF. Cleared the CMOS again and reloaded my last good setup.

Now I'm back to OC'ing! Don't know what I need to do to get it stable at 3.7 or if I can even get it there. Can the 9550 go that high? Or higher?

Ken

Yes I bet it can. Im wondering: why is the output on your radiator facing away from your case?

Hiya Happy!

I tried putting the rad the other way, but I was getting kinks in the tubing so my only option was to mount it this way. :(

OK, back to OC'ing!

Ken

OK,

Looks like I have a bad CPU... keep getting failures on core 1. Core 0,2, and 3 seem to run stable. I've tried playing with the voltages and even went back to stock settings and still get teh failure. This is the C1 rev CPU so I'm thinking it's just a bad CPU. Unfortunetly it's now out of warranty since I lapped it.

I need to get a replacement CPU and was wondering if I should try and get another 9550 and see if NewEgg ships an E0 (it doesn't say on the site if it's a E0 or C1) or if I should try a different one like a Q6600. I want a CPU that I can O/C to at least 4.0. This 9550 was only able to go to 3.61 (bit it might have been just a bad CPU).

Any help would be appreciated!!! :)

Ken

have you tried boosting the FSB a bit more.... some boards don't seem to like certain FSB values..... normally I think this leads to it refusing to POST, but I'm sure it's been mentioned that it can cause instability too.

Also what voltage are you running at? if you're still at 1.23, you can afford a few more millivolts.....

Back