• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice - s754 died, going cheep

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

So, yeah the mobo on my s754 died...and I really wasn't looking to replace it yet. I don't do as much gaming these days, although every once in awhile it's nice to play something I already own that my laptop can't muster and Starcraft 2 is probably going to be wicked fun.

I haven't built a system in awhile and AMD still looks like they're the best bang for the buck.

I was looking at possibly the 2.6ghz Brisie for $60...kinda stinks that years later I'm buying a new CPU and it has the same cache size as my old s754..but I'm sure it will well out perform it, even on a 1-to1 core basis.

Anyone disagree with this choice? It seems the X3's just arn't that great of a deal...I don't think they really perform that much better than a dual for most apps...and they still take as much power as an X4...so might as well go with a lower power X2 and OC it right?

The system i bought cost 200 dollars and performs very well. the BE-2400 costs like 30 bucks and can clock to 3ghz if you get a decent motherboard

well the x3 's do have one advantage over the x2, and that's the wider HT bus from 2 ghz to 3.6 ghz, so if you are going to use vista you will see a much better performance gain.....Also I do have a 2.6 5000+ BE and have loved it for the last year, it has run @ 3.2 for over 9 months without a hiccup.......

the 5000+ BE is an amazing chip its such a good overclocker i pretty much overclocked mine the day i got it to 3.2GHZ which is where its stayed for nearly a year now

Can anyone recommend me a mobo for this chip...or at least what a good chipset to run on would be? I was planning on using my geforce 7600 GT KO edition on this....but are some of the integrated VGA chipsets faster at this point?

This is a smoking deal for a motherboard:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=582197

Other than that I would look at the Biostar TA790GX varieties which overclock well and are affordable ~$100.

Whatever you get you want an SB750 southbridge as that will help overclocking any future Phenom based cpu upgrades among other more minor improvements.

The 790GX graphics won't be faster than a 7600GT, but depending on the intensity of the games might not be night and day slower.

Back