• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Failed RAID5, Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dathaeus

Registered
I had 3x400GB Samsungs in RAID 5. One drive failed, I sent it back, and have not received
a placement yet. I was waiting for a deal to get a 1TB+ external and iamge my data so I
can replace it when I go with a new storage system, something like a 150/300GB VR and a
1TB storage drive with the external 1TB as well. The system has been working, albeit a
bit slow of course, with the 2 drives only, just like RAID 5 is designed to do, but not like I
wanted to drag this on forever... the replacement actually just came but I wasnt home to
accept it! :(

Anyways, so now for some reason, out of nowhere, BOTH of my remaining RAID 5 drives
show it has FAILED in the bios screen. Not sure how this could happen, but I cannot start
Windows, I cannot run a repair, because it does not recognize any hard drives at the moment.
My AVG did pick up a virus right before this, so that may or may not have affected it.

I just reloaded XP onto a separate internal HD, and it is running great, but what is the best
way to extract my data and possibly even programs over? I know programs usually you cant,
but is there a way to access the old RAID 5 drive data somehow? I know there are some
RAID recovery tools, but should I run those now or should I reinstall the third drive and then
do a simple rebuild if possible?

Here is a screenshot of the BIOS screen:
raid_screen.JPG

Intel E8500 3.16ghz (OC 3.58ghz) --- Abit IP35Pro P35 ATX
ZEROtherm BTF90 92mm Silent UFO CPU Cooler --- Corsair Dominator 2x2GB DDR2-800
8800GT 512MB (721CC - 1734SC - 992MC) w/Xigmatek Battle Axe Cooler --- Thermaltake W0106RU - 700W PSU
3x400GB SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD403LJ (RAID5) --- SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan --- Soundblaster Platinum Rev 2 (7.1)

Back