• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Activation issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

A friend recently swapped out the motherboard to his computer and reinstalled windows to start clean. Of course, it wants to activate again but the issue hes having is that the activation process wont see his internet connection but he can still go online (hes on myspace right now). Any idea what to do to fix this?

Also, a while ago with this same motherboard, my friend was working on it and plugged in his HDD when the PC was on while tidying wiries. Everything turned off and the PC would not turn on again at all. We figured we killed the mobo and set it aside. Later on we find out that it was an issue with the HDD itself because plugged into another mobo, it caused that PC to do the same thing. So we kept the "dead" mobo handy just in case. Now we put it back in and this happens. Other issues we noticed was that the system would not boot from a SATA CD drive and would also not find his SATA HDD (he had an IDE hdd and cd drive that worked fine though). I figure maybe the sata ports got killed? Not sure. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
There should be an option to call in, I think that would be the quickest.

Besides that, it sounds like something is blocking it. Does he have a firewall running?

as far as i know, no. No anti-virus installed either. Hes behind a router. Trying to avoid going around the problem, would rather fix it. He has the windows firewall running though.

You could try stopping all programs are startup (msconfig) and see if that helps. When it tries to connect, does it give an error code or just say it can't connect?

it just cant connect as far as i know. Like it doesnt see an internet connection at all (but there IS a working one). @_@

just do the phone thing, I had the same prob after a mobo swap, the worst part was having to go through three different transfers to get someone who could remotely speak engrish.

dang. I guess ill let my friend know. This is a somewhat common problem or no?

It depends. for the times I had to call in for my old job, I was done in about 15minutes.

just do the phone thing, I had the same prob after a mobo swap, the worst part was having to go through three different transfers to get someone who could remotely speak engrish.

I rarely had to go that far. It was only after the automated phone verify failed. After me punching in/ or parroting the sequences.
Even when I had to talk to a rep. I found them to be clear enough to get the numbers out.. And them replying back.
Is this only on one computer?
Please tell me the sequence.. (which is only part of it, to make sure they are right.. Since you already have the numbers in the system.)
Here is your numbers..

It is not like it is complex or hard. It goes fast and they are quite professional about it. I never had one issue understanding them. Now HP or Dell support is another matter. That is usually complex and abstract communication.

Last edited:
Agree with enablingwolf. It just takes about 10-15 minutes to get it done.

as for you other problem did u test all the parts in the computer, mainly the PSU?

You could peek in the event viewer and see if anything shows there.

Run | eventvwr.msc

Or right click My Computer.. Then select Manage. The Event Viewer will show in that dialog. Simpler to just use the run command way.

Just look for failures. And see if anything points about the same time you tried to activate.

Back