• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Observations from my first WC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ned3000

Registered
Other noobs may be able to learn from my experiences.

1.) It's easy to overlook the importance of having the right screws. My thermochill rad/shroud didn't come with the necessary screws and that was the biggest single problem with the whole process (I've got a wood screw/guitar pick/velcro system holding my rad in place; it's kind of a hack.)

2.) Other than the screw thing it's not that hard to build a custom WC rig. The sticky thread that discourages using a "kit" is right on. With a little research I built a much better system for half the cost of just slapping on a Zalman all-in-one thing.

3.) If you have a cat (or other animal) don't put the pump/reservoir on the top of the case overnight to bleed the system unless it's securely fastened; I learned that one the hard way (corollary of this: the swiftech 355 can suck in a lot of air and not fail:))

4.) Pouring the fluid into the system and watching it flow through the tubes for the first time is better than sex.

Also, thanks to all the regulars here who gave me advice. Input from Conumdrum, thorilan, muddocktor and others really helped me out. I'm running a e8600 at 4.0 GHz (1600 for the RAM) and an NVIDIA 280 at 700 MHz and I haven't even yet begun the tweaking. Everything's at about 45C under load so I think there's a lot more potential.

Other noobs may be able to learn from my experiences.

1.) It's easy to overlook the importance of having the right screws. My thermochill rad/shroud didn't come with the necessary screws and that was the biggest single problem with the whole process (I've got a wood screw/guitar pick/velcro system holding my rad in place; it's kind of a hack.)

Not to forget the fitting threads aka "G". Thermochill uses G3/8 but the common ones are G1/4.

3.) If you have a cat (or other animal) don't put the pump/reservoir on the top of the case overnight to bleed the system unless it's securely fastened; I learned that one the hard way (corollary of this: the swiftech 355 can suck in a lot of air and not fail:))

That's good news. I'll like to add that this MCP355 (aka DDC3.2) gets hot and it's not advised to use petra's gel pad.

4.) Pouring the fluid into the system and watching it flow through the tubes for the first time is better than sex.

And be sure that the res/fill port is placed before the pump. eg. micro-res > MCP655 > radiator > etc.

I'm not sure if Res>Radiator>pump works.

Good results there!

Not to forget the fitting threads aka "G". Thermochill uses G3/8 but the common ones are G1/4.

Good point. I knew about the 3/8" threading on the rad and people selling it always included a link to the fittings, but that's another thing that could potentially be trouble.

That's good news. I'll like to add that this MCP355 (aka DDC3.2) gets hot and it's not advised to use petra's gel pad.

Yes, that pump will heat up the adhesive on the pad such that it will not withstand attacks from small mammals. Also, even installed in the case if there's significant lateral pressure from the tubes it will not stay stuck.

:thup:

I got a good laugh from this thread. I have one small mammals and one small, but obese mammal who likes to jump on top of my case (where the radiator is mounted). Thankfully, the radiator has not fallen, however, the fur issue can be as annoying - if not moreso. :O

Yes, that pump will heat up the adhesive on the pad such that it will not withstand attacks from small mammals. Also, even installed in the case if there's significant lateral pressure from the tubes it will not stay stuck.

I've heard of one incident that the gel seeped into the pump, spoiling it. That's my main concern which I wish to point out.

Back