• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget sff build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techun

So for christmas I'm looking on asking for some stuff to build a HTPC, and just have fun with it. Currently I only have a laptop so I miss a desktop .

I'm looking a shuttle barebones kit, or something cute and small to keep in my living room with my tv as it's only monitor.

shuttle KPC K45 $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856101064

E5200 2.5ghz 2mb (this is what I need help on!) $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116072

I'm basically looking for a processor that will do everything I need from it quickly and keep everything smooth. I won't be playing intense games on this computer at all.

2 gigs of 667 ram $30

500 gig sata HDD $55

tv tuner card $20

I have a cd/dvd drive already..

This gives me a very cheap, but non upgradeable system, that comes in under 300 total (which I could do for christmas)

If I could get a case with DVI, HDMI, or a pci-e16 slot for upgrading that would be better...

I really don't know what kind of cpu/fsb/ram is needed to really handle smooth operation of a media center, so I could really use that knowledge from you guys :)

Yeah the E5200 seems like a good cpu for your HTPC. Have you looked at the E4xxx series? They'll be cheaper than your one but would be fine for a HTPC. Everything else seems fine though. :)

Looking at Newegg's list and prices it seems to me that the 5200 is the best bang for the buck I can get, but I'm not sure about other places.

Depending on which case/mobo I get don't need a cpu cooler, I can go oem.

Like Cuiiey said that CPU is fine and the E4xxx is cheaper and just as good. I'd get DDR2 800 just because it's the same price.
To get a board with PCI-e your looking at spending 200 or so instead of 100 on the barebones system.
For media center only stuff the 945C chipset can handle any 2D stuff you throw at it. The drawback is you won't get digital or multiple outputs.
I'd try to find an older used SFF for 100-150 and use that. Remember you don't need a powerhouse machine for playing 2D stuff, browsing the web, or watching movies!

I dont know anything about tv tuners, I just looked on newegg briefly.

Back