• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Validating Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gigabit

Ok i have an OEM version of Vista Home Premuim and 3 days ago i reinstalled it do to a registry error that i couldnt fix.So i did a fresh install.After installing it i had 3 days to register to get it validated.I always do it and it only takes a few minutes but this time i forgot.Well just a few minutes ago a pop ups and tells me my Vista has just been Validated!!!!!!!!!!!!!.So i checked and sure enough vista has been activated.Now has anyone ever had this happn with vista?Is this what WGA does?

Last edited:
I understand that was one of the big hangups about Vista is that is 'phones' home on its own to validate or 'verify' validation.

Z

I believe that you're referring to Windows Activation.

If you do not wish your copy of Windows to automatically activate, you must either:

1. Do not enter a product key OR
  2. Uncheck the "Automatically activate Windows when I'm online checkbox"

during installation. Otherwise, Windows will automatically activate.

I believe that you're referring to Windows Activation.

If you do not wish your copy of Windows to automatically activate, you must either:

1. Do not enter a product key OR
  2. Uncheck the "Automatically activate Windows when I'm online checkbox"

during installation. Otherwise, Windows will automatically activate.
Yup. Periodically, also, Vista will phone home without you knowing. Being treated like a criminal is part of using the OS.

When you are activating vista after the first time, is it just the automated response on the phone like XP? I'm about to rebuild my computer. . .

No why would i be mad i was just surprized.I didnt know it did that.And im glad because its a pita calling MS and reading off those 9 sets of numbers

Haha, if you think this is obnoxious, wait for the new system they're working on. I made a thread about the focus group I was in a few months ago.

Back