• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need to upgrade my Zippy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apenland01

I have a Zippy 6500 with the stuff in my sig. I have ordered upgrade stuff from Newegg for my birthday and will have the following by Tuesday.

Foxconn 790FX/SB750
AMD 6000 X2 3.1
OCZ Reaper 2x2G
Palit 4850 Sonic-8 pin connector (already on counter staring at me)

Everything else will be the same, so the question is will I need to buy a new PSU to power the new stuff, or will the Zippy do the job?

The 4850 video card has an 8 pin connector and I only have 4 pin connectors on my Zippy. Can I use the 2 4-pin connectors and get the same power as these newer 6+2 connectors?

Your PSU is perfect fine for your new setup.
You'll have in box a 6 pin PCI-E to 8 pin PCI-E cable adapter.
What 2x4 pin connectors do you have in mind? I hope that you don't think at 4 pin AUX CPU power cables...

What 2x4 pin connectors do you have in mind? I hope that you don't think at 4 pin AUX CPU power cables...

This PSU doesn't have any 6-pin connectors. Basically, I will have two separate 4-pin connectors plugged into a 6-pin adapter, which will then be plugged into an 8-pin adapter, which will then plug into the video card. It seems like a lot of adapters to me, but if it works and I don't have to spend the cash, then I'm good with it.

Back