• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 1gig problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bfmctango57

Last year some time or maybe later, my CPU went out. I bought one from ebay and installed it. It's been working for some time and now that one has finally seen the end. The whole system is about 8 years old. Original case, sound card, cd drive, ram, mobo, and cpu fan.The numbers on the CPU are:

A1000AMT3B
ARGA 0118WPBW

Should I buy another one on ebay (which is hard to find now and when I did the people wanted WAY to much money)?

Should I upgrade to a newer CPU and mobo? If so, which CPU and mobo?

Asus A7A 266
PC2100 ddr ram
ATX case

well if you get another socket A try and get one that isna a palmino. i think thats why it dies like it is.

if you upgrade why dont you upgrade to something more than a socket a?

i mean the other day i was checkin out backup processors incase if i fry mine in search of 3.6Ghz and there was a combo deal (isnt any more) for a sempron and mobo but the combo deal basicly made the sempron free. i take it from your use of a 1000Mhz athlon that your not playing many games, if any...
check this page out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ubCategory=343&SortField=0&PageSize=10&page=1

scroll down and you can get the processor and a decent gigabyte matx board for $60, a little bit of ram and a heatsink isnt going to run you much and i would assume you could keep everything else from your old computer, i know its a sempron but its faster than what you have and you would have atleast have room to upgrade with that board so if this set up lasts you 8 years and you find your self doing what your doing now it might last a little bit longer.

My wife uses the comp and she doesn't do anything stressful. Email, IM'ing, and surfing the net is the extent of the use.

I was thinking of going to another mobo and cpu. Which one should I choose that will give me the most bang for the buck? Which socket would be the best choice? I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to choosing which components to use. I was thinking of going with a new mobo and cpu. If I go with a new mobo, most likely I will have to use different ram too? I will have to check the compatibility of my old ram to the new mobo. Can you please do it for me? :) :)

Here are the core components of a system I am building now for a client to be used in an industrial setting. The 2 HDD's are for redundancy.

Antec Basiq BP500UB 500W ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply - OEM
Item #: N82E16817371019
$29.99
CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667
Desktop Memory Model VS2GBKIT667D2 - Retail
Item #: N82E16820145098
$26.99
AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor Model
ADH4850DOBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103255
$59.99
2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard
Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822148261
$99.98
($49.99 ea)
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3 English for System Builders 1 Pack CD - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116511
$89.99
Foxconn A74MX-K AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813186151
$49.99

Archer, that's a LOT of overkill for a browsing/email/IM system, and you're missing a case.

A basic internet / email / IM system from NewEgg:
Jetway mATX AM2 GeForce 6100 motherboard - $39.99
AMD LE-1150 2GHz 45W CPU - $22.99
2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 - $39.99, $9.99 after $30 MIR
mATX case - $21.99
Antec Basiq 350W - $13.99
If you need a new hard drive:
WD Caviar 80GB - $35.99
Any one of the following, if you don't already have XP or Vista:
XP Home SP3 - $89.99
Vista Home Basic SP1 64-bit - $89.99
Vista Home Basic SP1 32-bit - $89.99

Doesn't include shipping. If you need a new CD drive, you could get a LG DVD burner ($21.99). I've had several brands of drives recently, and LG models have always been quieter and sturdier than other brands. If you got everything (just one OS, not all three :p) on the above list plus the DVD burner, your total after rebates would be around $250.

Last edited:
I have an A7A266 board and this board will fit in the same case. As I said this was core components and all with free shipping from the egg. And a raid is good for the wife as you dont have to worry about her blaming you for lost pic's in the case of a hdd crash.

I'm trying to spend as little money as possible. She only uses it for email, surfing the net, and IMing. I was thinking of just going with a newer CPU. Maybe another 1gig and then I was thinking why not go with a higher mhz CPU. I've been looking to find my specs for the mobo I have. The ASUS A7A 266 and I can't seem to locate the CPU limit for it. I went to the ASUS website to read up on the manual but, there isn't any info on the highest CPU I can install. Any of you guys know?

If I cannot find out the highest CPU I can install or find the CPU, I will take your guys advice and buy a new mobo, cpu, and maybe new ram for the newer comp.

I do have XP installed on her comp.

The question is, is the computer you have now custom built, or something you bought? Those old restore disks only restored computers with specific bioses on specific boards, so you might end up having to buy a new OS if you upgrade her to a completely new compy. The computer you have is old, and you can find socket A chips around, though you will likely spend a bit for them as they are rarer now. While you are getting a new chip why not get a new cpu cooler as well since the one you have has been used forever and the fan is probably on its last legs.

I was looking for some more information on the mobo. I've found out that some people are using an Athlon XP 1700+ or there abouts in their systems. I can use a higher CPU than my 1gig if I update the BIOS right?

I remember when I first bought the system that I could've installed a 1.3 CPU but, the cost at the time was 300 bones more!

Help!

DragoXT:

The comp was custom built about 8 years ago and all is original except for the CPU.

Board specs say "support for AMD Athlon/Duron 550MHz - 1GHz", so anything higher may not work without a BIOS update, which may be hard to find. Asus doesn't even list the board on their site. EDIT: Nevermind, it is on their support site, just nowhere on the main site.

Last edited:
It is on Asus's site, i just found it myself here. Just go to the download page and then in the right hand side select your type of product, socket type, then the mobo, then you will be asked to select your OS. Looks like one bios supports up to AXP 2100+, and another probably supports more.

Looks like zipzoomfly has a AXP 2000+ @ 1.66ghz for $30 with free shipping.

With your board being 266mhz likely you will not be able to get a 333mhz bus chip in your board so that 2000+ is about as high as you will likely go.

i bet he could get away with the fastest tbred b core. it shows support on that bios page for up to 2100+ but theres a new bios on top with a dead link to supported cpus so mabe its able to handle other things, i am also pretty sure he could use a barton but not run the FSB as high....

acually i just found the cpu support page:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A7A266&os=17
2600+ is the highest officially supported CPU with the newest bios. but the cheapest 2600 is way too much. i dont under stand the $60 price spread for another 133Mhz.

http://www.pricewatch.com/cpu/athlon_xp_2400.htm

i would really get a sempron and some sort of AM2 board, my combo deal expired from above but its going to be faster than any cpu you plug into your mobo, even with onboard video and such. i am sure you could find a decent combo deal with some ram, a cpu and a mobo. everything else could be on board and the rest of your system you could probally use.

I'm trying to spend as little money as possible. She only uses it for email, surfing the net, and IMing. I was thinking of just going with a newer CPU. Maybe another 1gig and then I was thinking why not go with a higher mhz CPU. I've been looking to find my specs for the mobo I have. The ASUS A7A 266 and I can't seem to locate the CPU limit for it. I went to the ASUS website to read up on the manual but, there isn't any info on the highest CPU I can install. Any of you guys know?

If I cannot find out the highest CPU I can install or find the CPU, I will take your guys advice and buy a new mobo, cpu, and maybe new ram for the newer comp.

I do have XP installed on her comp.
I just saw a single core Opty and DFI Ultra-D board for cheap in the Classifieds. You really can't replace the CPU in your old board for those kind of prices considering the performance difference even with everyday tasks.

You might want to get some newer RAM for that but you wouldn't have to - your current RAM would be re-usable by lowering the RAM divider as needed ...

I agree. I think the best way to go, while saving money now, and in the future, would be to do a full system upgrade. Parts are on the cheap now a days, and since it doesn't have to be a super awesome gaming pwnface rig, it's going to be even cheaper.

Sempron 3000+ Combo Deal
That is a very cheap board and process that would more than get the job done. Plus, you wouldn't have to purchase more RAM unless you wanted to.

I know a lot of us are just throwing stuff at you without saying anything really about your current system, but it's to make things easier for you, and save you buncha bucks. 5 years ago, it wouldn't of been smart to grab new parts, they were just too expensive, but with the market now, it's almost hard not to. I find myself upgrading parts at least once a month.

No selling outside of the Classified Forums. Please read the Forum Rules again!

muddocktor
Forum Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Back