• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 + HDMI + ASUS Monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GBH

I have this monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236051

I have my PS3 connected to it via HDMI. The sound from the PS3 comes through the monitor's speakers. I have this sound system for my PC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121130

What I want to do is have audio from my PS3 go through those speakers.

So I went to Radioshack and got a 6ft cable and connected it to the green hole and put the other end into the sub woofer where my PC is connected.

I turn on the PS3 and the sound is coming through the monitor's speakers still. Did I miss something or is this something that I cannot do?

You need to talk to people familiar with the playstation 3. That's not gonna be this forum.
Even still post this in 'gaming' and see what you get.

50/50 actually contacting SONY might be helpful... but

Sony was
Only
Nice to customers when I was
Young

They made the best TV's in the world too.
Have you seen the trash they make now?
Sad stuff.

You need to talk to people familiar with the playstation 3. That's not gonna be this forum.

Yeah, my guess is the little green 3/8th inch jack on the monitor (if that's what you're talking about) is for stereo audio in in case you are using the d-sub or dvi inputs, not audio out.

I firgured that not too many people would be too familiar but i figured what i had to lose.

Thank you for the info guys

PS
drink up!
im wasted

I'm fairly sure that you must use either HDMI or optical out when you use HDMI as your video source. As it stands now, my PS3 has HDMI to my computer monitor and an optical out to my Z5500's; I have absolutely no issue with this setup and had to do nothing to configure it.

Does the TV have audio out? You might have able to pass-through the audio.

I'm fairly sure that you must use either HDMI or optical out when you use HDMI as your video source. As it stands now, my PS3 has HDMI to my computer monitor and an optical out to my Z5500's; I have absolutely no issue with this setup and had to do nothing to configure it.

Does the TV have audio out? You might have able to pass-through the audio.

The speakers are Logitech z-40s, I don't think they have optical in.

But OP, looking at the pic of the screen it looks like it has 2 3.5mm jacks, did you try hooking the speakers into both or just the green one? The black one might be audio pass through.

From the settings it looks like you can select AV Multi Out in the Sound Output settings even if you are using HDMI for your video output. I didn't have the AV multi cable plugged in, but when I selected that method I noticed it muted the sound from my TV until I went back into the Sound Output settings and reselected HDMI.

Give it a try.

I have Aux In on my speakers, so I use a 3.5mm to RCA (Red/White) adapter to use my A/V cord for sound. I just select HDMI for video and A/V for audio.

You'll have to use the A/V cord somehow, so you can select it in the sound settings.

Last edited:

50/50 actually contacting SONY might be helpful... but

Sony was
Only
Nice to customers when I was
Young

They made the best TV's in the world too.
Have you seen the trash they make now?
Sad stuff.

If this is all you have to post, just move on and don't post at all. Seriously, this is neither helpful nor insightful.

If this is all you have to post, just move on and don't post at all. Seriously, this is neither helpful nor insightful.

Right back at you. your post was less helpful than mine.

It is insightful. I'm saying you can try sony customer support but it isn't what it used to be. Then I tried to add some humor.

Looks like its not possible

There's no optical in and no option ( i belive ) to select HDMI for video only

GBH said:
Looks like its not possible

There's no optical in and no option ( i belive ) to select HDMI for video only

Yes there is, the PS3 handles video output and audio output independently.

Go to your Sound Settings in the PS3's XMB menu and change Sound Output from HDMI to the A/V Multi cable, and then hook up the A/V Multi's red and white plugs into your sound system's input line. I'll fish out my cable tonight and test this to verify that it indeed does work.

EDIT: Yup, I just tested this and it works great. On your PS3 go to Settings, then go to Sound Settings to get to the Sound Output option. You will need an adaptor to convert the red and white jacks to a minijack for plugging into your sound system's audio input line. The adaptor you need is a Y adaptor that has two RCA female jacks with a male minijack on the other end, the adaptor shouldn't cost you more then $5 at a place like Radio Shack.

Also, changing your Sound Output to a different method will not have an effect on your video output settings.

Last edited:
OP did you try my suggestion?

Sorta

I have one audio cable that connected to the back of the monitor to the output on the speakers. It didn't work

Im going to go to radioshack when i get a chance to buy a red and white one like you said

It didn't work for me =/

I got the y adapter and plugged the red/white to my subwoofer. And connected the other end to the back of my monitor.

I changed the settings in XMB to what you said and got no sound =(

I did however d/c the green cable from the subwoofer to my sound card on my pc

I think I'm picturing this correctly, lol. I don't have your exact sound system but judging from newegg's pictures you have three audio jacks and a 9-pin jack on the back of your subwoofer. Both of your sub's speakers should be plugged into the Red and Yellow jacks on the back of your subwoofer. The green jack on the sub must be the line input since that cable was going to your computer; plugging the Y adaptor into that should do the trick.

Back of subwoofer (green hole) <--- Y adaptor <--- Red and White jacks from the PS3's A/V cable <--- A/V Multi port on the back of the PS3.

Is this the kind of Y adaptor you have?

Attachments

• mini-jack-stereo-adapter.png
    mini-jack-stereo-adapter.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,164
Thats where the confusion is

Theres no 9 pin jack in the back of the subwoofer

Just a red, white, and green input

Red and white for the 2 speakers and the green goes to my soundcard.

You need to use this to connect the PS3 A/V multi cable to the line in on your motherboard. As previously stated, you also have to make sure that the PS3 is set to output video on HDMI and audio on the multi cable. This will work...I'm doing it right now.

Back