• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over Clocking Q6600 BSOD Problem !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDO

Hello Everybody

I have a 8800 gt 512 mb ,

Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz ,

4096 MBytes DDR2 ,

Motherboard = nForce Fatal1ty FP-IN9(C55-MCP51)

I have had my q6600 running @ 2.4 GHz since I got it and I wanted to OC it to a higher frequency to see what impacts it has on my games. I dont know alot about ocing just the general idea. I downloaded the programme ntune just to see if It would Overclock . I just went up to 2,493 MHz from 2,403 MHz and it was stable but anything above this my comp would just get the BSOD. I was thinking it was down to my motherboard.

I didnt want to do it through the bios because there is no tutorials on how to do it with the mobo I have.Can anyone give me any advice on the matter. Sorry for the noobish Question but I just wanted to know what could be causing the BSOD.

The first thing to do is use nTune to reset the clock speed back to default, and then uninstall nTune. There are a number of overclocking options available to you in that boards' BIOS, which is where you should be doing all of your overclocking from. Familiarize yourself w/ all of the available settings (and overclocking in general) by first reading the sticky at the top of this forum...

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.7
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

If there's anything you don't understand after reading through that guide, then post your questions either in this thread or the appropriate forum. And if you're still receiving BSOD's even after uninstalling nTune, then post the exact contents of the STOP error in this thread.

Thanks for your reply.

Just updated my mobo bios. I was just in my bios settings a little while ago. I want to get my cpu to around 2.6 Ghz ; would it work if I changed my FSB frequency to 1,160 MHz and my memory bus frequency to 725 MHz in the Bios. Would I have to perform any adjustments to voltages or can I just leave it on auto ?

Sorry if im not making any sense. Im just a little confused :(

I unistalled Ntune btw ! I never really liked it anyway

Only increasing the FSB to 290 MHz from the default of 266 MHz, w/ the default 9x multiplier (2.61 GHz clock) won't require a Vcore increase. In fact you can just leave all of the voltage settings on AUTO, since you'll only be increasing the clock speed by 200 MHz. And assuming your RAM is PC2-6400, then a DRAM Frequency of 725 MHz (4:5 - 266/667 NB Strap) will be fine. You can also leave all RAM sub-timings on AUTO, but I would suggest manually setting the four primary timings (CAS#, tRDC, tRP, and tRAS) to the manufacturer's spec. for example 4-4-4-12. You might also want to take the Vdimm (DRAM voltage) off AUTO, and manually select the manufacturer's suggested voltage for your particular RAM.

Back