• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gateway laptops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah i wouldnt mind upgrading the cpu. i think it still would be worth the upgrade for that price to have a 8800M

I got a MT6728 since about 4 months ( got a deal i couldn't resit on tigerdirect, refurb ) and I had no problems whatsoever with it.

My brother purchased one of the newer FX laptops a few months ago, with the 9800 GTS. He got it for around $1100 at the time, which was and still is probably the best price you'll ever find on a laptop with those specs. I can say that he is very happy with it and so far it hasn't had any problems.

As for the laptop you linked, the specs look pretty decent but the CPU is pretty slow. You'd have to upgrade to a P8400, but that's going to cost you $180-$220. It's better to just go for the newer laptop when you factor that in.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ay+fx&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1211587727985

The mobo on the 6831FX which the OP linked to has the santa clara mobo, not montevina. It won't work with P series processors. T series are great though.

I got the laptop in my sig about three weeks ago for $749 from tiger direct. It's a refurb, but looks brand new. Found the deal on slickdeals and they've been selling out as soon as they get them.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...7805u&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1218043606827

Is a pretty smokin deal on the newest of the gateway P series FX notebooks, I really don't think there's much out there beating it on price right now. Currently at least the ones found at best buy all seem to have a 1920x1200 screen instead of the spec'd 1440x900, no one seems to know if this was an early run mistake or a typo on the spec, but they're a killer notebook for the price, I bought one this morning.

I'd watch the quality control. If its anything like the P7811FX.. might have to swap.

I had to go through only one. Bad "ghosting" on the first one. Not much on the current one. Love it though.

I purchased one of the FX series gateway laptops at BestBuy the day after christmas.
The P-7805 with 4GB DDR3, 320GB HHD 7200rpm, 9800GTS, C2D 2.26GHz, 64bit windows, 1920x1200 resolution, etc.

I got it brand new for around $850. I can't believe I got it for that price.

I purchased one of the FX series gateway laptops at BestBuy the day after christmas.
The P-7805 with 4GB DDR3, 320GB HHD 7200rpm, 9800GTS, C2D 2.26GHz, 64bit windows, 1920x1200 resolution, etc.

I got it brand new for around $850. I can't believe I got it for that price.

I envy you! I paid 1330 for mine... and I had to have the first one exchanged!

I envy you! I paid 1330 for mine... and I had to have the first one exchanged!

hehe
Mine is absolutely awesome. I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever.
No BSOD, no crashing programs, etc. It's a solid machine.
My only real complaint is that there are only 3 USB ports; 4 would be nice, but whatever. Also... the mouse buttons are loud. Kind of annoying for the girlfriend when she's sleeping and you're in bed surfing the web before you go to sleep.

What I'm mostly surprised about is the quality of the speakers. Most of the laptops I've used have had absolutely terrible speakers and sound quality. This one has pretty damn good speakers for a laptop, I must say.

Are these laptops overclockable?
I haven't even looked in the BIOS yet.
I was thinking of bumping the CPU up to 2.5GHz.

Are these laptops overclockable?
I would be surprised if you could.

Overclocking laptops is not a good idea in the first place though. Most will overheat on stock settings if you push them hard enough, they don't need any help ;)

I couldn't find any setFSB clockgen what have you settings to FSB overclock the laptop, and the BIOS definately doesn't allow for overclocking with regular CPUs, and I thought I read that it doesn't even allow multiplier settings on the EEs.

How hot is too hot on the GPU?
Right now I've been playing Lord of the Rings Online in Dx10 mode with CPU temps at around 39-42 and GPU temps at 65-69.

nevermind... with full load on the graphics, the GPU gets up to 79.
I'm playing on a glass table, would that make a difference?

Back