• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mcafee security center and Heavy HDD usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

My father in law has a Dell that came pre-loaded with Mcafee SecurityCenter for the AV solution. Recently I've noticed that his HDD is having a lot of activity, so I downloaded ProcMon to see what was going on. One of Mcafee's processes [mcshield.exe] is doing a lot of reading, and sometimes a little bit of writing to the hdd. The problem is, quite often there's enough activity going on that it slows down general usage of the computer. I logged into safe mode and ran a full slew of things like Spybot, AdAware 2008, and Mcafee's system scan. There wasn't anything overly malicious going on, just the normal tracking cookies that are fairly often picked up. At the least amount of activity, his hdd activity light blinks about once a second, which doesn't noticeably effect performance. Sometimes though, the activity light doesn't go off, and performance seriously suffers.

I don't know if it's related to the Mcafee processes, but occasionally Explorer.exe will do a large amount of reading and writing to the drive as well. I've noticed the intel graphics drivers cause a little bit of activity from time to time too. Now, I don't want to spend 4 hours working on this issue, but If possible I'd like to get it solved because my father in law is the kind of guy that will just toss this computer out and buy a new one rather than deal with the hassle. It's a perfectly good computer, especially since all he does is internet/ebay and digital picture storage. I know Mcafee is a bloated AV solution, but I've never noticed it causing so much activity. Surely something's wrong?

toss Mcafee out the window and use avg or some other a/v scanner, anything would be more effective and less resource hungry than mcafee except norton

^^ yup. McAfee has been "crap" to put it nicely for a few years now.

Norton is very effective, just bloated.

My father in law has a Dell that came pre-loaded with Mcafee SecurityCenter for the AV solution. Recently I've noticed that his HDD is having a lot of activity, so I downloaded ProcMon to see what was going on. One of Mcafee's processes [mcshield.exe] is doing a lot of reading, and sometimes a little bit of writing to the hdd. The problem is, quite often there's enough activity going on that it slows down general usage of the computer. I logged into safe mode and ran a full slew of things like Spybot, AdAware 2008, and Mcafee's system scan. There wasn't anything overly malicious going on, just the normal tracking cookies that are fairly often picked up. At the least amount of activity, his hdd activity light blinks about once a second, which doesn't noticeably effect performance. Sometimes though, the activity light doesn't go off, and performance seriously suffers.

I don't know if it's related to the Mcafee processes, but occasionally Explorer.exe will do a large amount of reading and writing to the drive as well. I've noticed the intel graphics drivers cause a little bit of activity from time to time too. Now, I don't want to spend 4 hours working on this issue, but If possible I'd like to get it solved because my father in law is the kind of guy that will just toss this computer out and buy a new one rather than deal with the hassle. It's a perfectly good computer, especially since all he does is internet/ebay and digital picture storage. I know Mcafee is a bloated AV solution, but I've never noticed it causing so much activity. Surely something's wrong?

McAfee is known to be slow, at least in the past.

Also, it at least used to choke with large archive files (zip, ace, rar and etc.) when McAfee was at version 6x.

McAfee VirusScan 6x (I tried it in 2002) choked with large archive files,
Windows XP displays the message about virtual memory being too low and then mcshield.exe crashes.

Last edited:
If you want the best and you're willing to pay, get nod32 (only AV, no firewall) or kaspersky anti-virus 2009. Then get a free comodo firewall. Be sure to include "defence+"! Or online armour

Btw, how does one erase comodo completely? I forgot the link :(.

And you may also want a siteadviser from mcafee. It's not bloated at all. And it's free! Don't know how accurate it is though.

Is it true that Mozilla firefox is safer than IE? I also read that IE7 on xp is not good security wise. How true is that one?

As for free AV, read this up: Best Free Anti virus (poll edition!)

Wow, I didn't realize it was that bad...

I use Avast myself, super light and never had a problem with it. If the hdd activity becomes a problem I'll stealth install Avast and dump the Mcafee :sn:
That ought to solve the problem for a while. Eventually he'll find some reason to buy a new pc anyhow... I think he likes to complain about them just to throw 'em away :screwy:

i was going to same thing as some ppl here

McAfee is crap
Norton is nice they have improved over the years
i love & recommend trend micro

yet to try CA, kerpansky & a few others

Back