• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

300gig Velociraptors and 5.25" drive coolers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem2

I noticed that these v-raptors are 2.5" drives enclosed in a 3.5" heat sink of some type. I want it to have good cooling because even though I'm sure the drive will out last its 5 year warranty I just don't want to take any chances. I just didn't know if they can fit into things like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119062

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154004

And so on. Unless of course it would be a better Idea to put an hd cooler that just connects to the top of the drive or something. I am getting a new exhaust fan for the back of my case that is a 120 mm fan. I could wire it next to the bay were I could put the new hd.

Just wondering though if it would be a size issue or are those set to fit in the exact same way a normal 3.5" drive is.

Yeah, you should be able to put the raptor and it's 3.5 heatsink into a 3.5" drive cooler. Don't get a 2.5" drive cooler, the raptor's stock cooler would beat that.

Yeah, you should be able to put the raptor and it's 3.5 heatsink into a 3.5" drive cooler. Don't get a 2.5" drive cooler, the raptor's stock cooler would beat that.

Yup :) thanks for the help. I just wish newegg had more coolers to choose from.

o, i see now nvm.... LOL, but yea if you wanted you could put them in 3.5in drives into those 5.25in enclosures. though your not going to need it, just mount them in the 3.5in spots in the case. cooling the drives to much will actually lower their life....

cooling the drives to much will actually lower their life....

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I understand extreme coolers, maybe even water, but a simlar fan driven cooler is really going to make that much difference?

I believe Mike is correct, it's good to keep them in a normal operating temperature but I have heard that too much cooling isn't good for hard drives (Or was it that being a little warm was good for them?). If it feels hot then I don't think aiming a fan at the drive is a bad idea though.

all depends on the drive and its specs for operating temp... of course you do have other factors like your amb temp air that will get sucked into the case. or the case may place the HD's in a weird location where they get the hottest air before it leaves the case. Could even be in a spot where there is not air moving around them, in that case i would consider a low speed a good idea but thats about it. just so many things that it just depends...

all depends on the drive and its specs for operating temp... of course you do have other factors like your amb temp air that will get sucked into the case. or the case may place the HD's in a weird location where they get the hottest air before it leaves the case. Could even be in a spot where there is not air moving around them, in that case i would consider a low speed a good idea but thats about it. just so many things that it just depends...

I guess the reason behind this slot is I already have 2 other sata drives that will be there and I didn't want to run the v-raptor under other running drives. :(

What if I just got one of those 5.25 coolers that is just fans and not another heat sink? Just so it is blowing air over WD's HS and not a dual HS

if the fan is something like a small 40x10mm or 40x20mm fan moving roughly 5-8cfm. that isnt alot of air flow but will be enough to keep it from getting above operating temp.

Back