• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GT or 9800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For $150 you can most certainly get a 9800GTX or a 4850, like white_pawn suggested.

If you'd rather get a 88 or 9800 gt, they can be had for $100 to $130, so there's a lot of extra performance available for not much more money.

Thanks guys. Fry's prices are always high but i don't have to wait a day or two in the mail for them. I've been looking and will probably pick up a GTX on newegg next week.

9800GT = 8800GT, I thought. no die shrunk whatsoever last time I checked.

True.

There may be a few differences beyond the name change, for instance SPDIF input for HDMI audio passthrough, HybridPower and a die shrink. An 8800 GT does not have any of those and an 8800 GT "rebranded" to be a 9800 GT does not have any of those. Any 9800 GT with any of those are "true" 9800 GT.

Just an FYI, there are two BFG cards that I can guarantee use the 55nm die shrink (for those who care). Those are the 9800 GT OC2 and OCX with ThermalIntelligence.

Back