• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 mp3/media player hotfix??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i heard about the issue, but nice they got a fix, with this many people downloading the beta and it is public, a bug like they had reported to me is ratehr scary, it kind of made me worry, is MS going even FURTHER with DRM now to try and scan for illegal music files and scrap em!

i heard about the issue, but nice they got a fix, with this many people downloading the beta and it is public, a bug like they had reported to me is ratehr scary, it kind of made me worry, is MS going even FURTHER with DRM now to try and scan for illegal music files and scrap em!

I don't think they'd do that. Aside from the fact that copyright enforcement of another party's "intellectual property" is not their responsibility, they have no way to verify the authenticity of any downloaded mp3s. Most of the music stores have now removed drm from their products, so an mp3 downloaded from them would appear the same as an mp3 downloaded from other sources, or an mp3 backed up from one of your own cds.

I was just glad to see there was a fix for it before I plugged my mirror back in. I wasn't even aware of the issue. I did see that 7 had installed one automatic update right as I logged in for the very first time, maybe that was it.

Anyone seen this? :confused: Just happened to catch it on Digg

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/961367

Yeah, I read about this before I had even dled Win 7 beta, and honestly was a little put off/discouraged to try the beta. But the curiosity got the better of me. Heck, I said to myself, they've got a fix for the problem--for both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions, so it won't hurt me much, if I try the beta. And what has REALLY made the difference is that if your mp3 files or folders containing these mp3 files are marked READ ONLY, this bug WON'T hurt them or you. And all my mp3 files--folders containing them--are marked READ ONLY; I checked.

At this point, I still have not yet set up Windows Media Player or played any MP3 files or checked my mp3 files, so I don't know if any of them is hurt/ruined. But I had IMMEDIATELY installed the hotfix after I had installed Win 7 beta.

One thing that ticked me off is that I am unable to launch Google Earth(latest version, of course) in Win 7 beta. It hangs at loading with the message of "loading myplaces, kml..." etc. Googled; it turns out that a boatload of people have had this problem--although not within Win 7. Tried the suggested solutions, but no go. I think this might be a bug within Google Earth rather than Win 7 beta, although I had never encountered this problem when I ran Google Earth within Vista. The last part is unrelated to the MP3 bug. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I read about this before I had even dled Win 7 beta, and honestly was a little put off/discouraged to try the beta. But the curiosity got the better of me. Heck, I said to myself, they've got a fix for the problem--for both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions, so it won't hurt me much, if I try the beta. And what has REALLY made the difference is that if your mp3 files or folders containing these mp3 files are marked READ ONLY, this bug WON'T hurt them or you. And all my mp3 files--folders containing them are marked READ ONLY; I checked.

At this point, I still have not yet set up Windows Media Player or played any MP3 files or checked my mp3 files, so I don't know if any of them is hurt/ruined. But I had IMMEDIATELY installed the hotfix after I had installed Win 7 beta.

One thing that ticked me off is that I am unable to launch Google Earth(latest version, of course) in Win 7 beta. It hangs at loading with the message of "loading myplaces, kml..." etc. Googled; it turns out that a boatload of people have had this problem--although not within Win 7. Tried the suggested solutions, but no go. I think this might be a bug within Google Earth rather than Win 7 beta, although I had never encountered this problem when I ran Google Earth within Vista. The last part is unrelated to the MP3 bug. :)

Hmm, I'll have to try out Google Earth when I can use that pc again.

So apparently my new install needed that patch, and it didn't come up over automatic updates even after a couple of refreshes.

Back