• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD RV790 and RV740 in 40 nm from March 2009 on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Same here the 8800GT was fast enough not to upgrade to the HD 4800 family but the guys deserve something for breaking down the prices so I can't wait either to see the 40nm gen and get one for myself.

yea, right now im really interested in picking up a RV740 based card though...

looks like i'm too late to go 4850Xfire. by the time i have the money, the 4950 cards will be out.

looks like i'll have to save up more for 4950 Xfire. i'm sure it won't disappoint.

hey Kuroimaho, is that dp actually you, or a some movie star? :p
just wondering lol.

RV740 looks like it will be a cost-effective replacement for the HD4850. Fewer SPs but I'm sure they'll run faster and 640 SPs does well enough on the HD4830, similar memory bandwidth from cutting the memory link width whlie using GDDR5. The estimated die size is so much smaller it gives everyone benefits, it will be cheaper to make and thus be more profitable but also allow more price flexibility and may come in at HD4830 pricing if there's stiff competition. Otherwise it will probably be priced to replace the HD4850, maybe start at $150-175 MSRP though. Notice how the HD4870 has come down a fair amount but the HD4850 not so much? They're the same chip and both have 256-bit interfaces with corresponding PCB complexity. I don't expect stiff competition though because NV seems content to use the G9x for mid-range and lower :-/

Is this one of the first times GPU dies will be on a smaller process node than cpus? 40nm vs 45nm? I know 32nm is coming out for cpu's, but I always thought GPU's were pretty far behind cpu's in that area usually.

yea shig normally GPU's are a shrink behind... looks like they are tring to keep up?

Well no one is going to be able to keep up with Intel's process node frenzy, but I think they are going to slow down after 32nm and milk that for a while. I just think it's awesome that GPU's are going so fast now.

Back