• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh no! Rust!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myndlessdayz

So, I decided to do my semi annual system drain and clean and finally decided that I'll open up the D5 to check if the impeller is clogged. Opened it right up and see that the impeller is pretty clean and do a little small scrubbing ininside it and as I'm drying it off I see this:

d6c79052.jpg :bang head

a8ffa1e5.jpg :bang head

587baa0e.jpg :bang head :bang head :bang head

Anyone know how I should clean these off?

Or should I just say screw it and buy a new one? :screwy:

I assume you're filling with tap water? Rust shouldn't be formed on stainless steel unless it's placed in highly galvanic solutions (i.e. ocean water) but over a long (or even short) period of time, substandard stainless will rust in something as mild as dishwater (i have a fork that did this).

You can use some Never-Dull (kerosene soaked cotton) to remove the rust. You can use a minor abrasive like a scotchbrite pad as well. If you're using tap water, stop. Use distilled and run a bit of antifreeze. That *should* prevent further damage.

Short of that, you can go to Big5 or a Gun store and pick up a cold bluing kit (you can also do hot gun bluing but the setup to do it would cost more than a new pump) and apply it to the impeller. They run $12-$20 and will provide a fairly good layer of protection.

I assume you're filling with tap water? Rust shouldn't be formed on stainless steel unless it's placed in highly galvanic solutions (i.e. ocean water) but over a long (or even short) period of time, substandard stainless will rust in something as mild as dishwater (i have a fork that did this).

Never used tap water as I feared something like this would happen. I did buy the pump used a while ago (4 years I think?) off of another forum. That was probably the last time I opened it up also.

You can use some Never-Dull (kerosene soaked cotton) to remove the rust. You can use a minor abrasive like a scotchbrite pad as well. If you're using tap water, stop. Use distilled and run a bit of antifreeze. That *should* prevent further damage.

Scotchbrite are those green pads right? lol

Short of that, you can go to Big5 or a Gun store and pick up a cold bluing kit (you can also do hot gun bluing but the setup to do it would cost more than a new pump) and apply it to the impeller. They run $12-$20 and will provide a fairly good layer of protection.

Awesome, I'll look into it.

Back