• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holy cow Ubuntu!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

~(o)-(0)~

Wow, that's all I have to say. I finally set up Ubuntu 8.04 to run an SMP client on my e2180 @ 2.66.

The first core I got was an A1, I got about 800-815 PPd @ stock, I upped it to 2.66, and that got me about 900 PPD. It finally finished and today downloaded an A2 core...I am currently getting 2383 PPD. I've been running standard single core clients up to now, except for my 3870, which I must say is producing LESS than this SMP client, so I'm all amazed and felt I had to share :clap: You can all go back to your lives now :beer:

Nick

Hehehe my fellow Qc'er, I don't know your card but I can see where SMP might be better. Just don't get the a1 WU that took my rig 80 hours to complete 2M steps and for 3340 points. I just completed an a2 for 1920 points in about 22 hours but now I've got another a1 for 50 hours and some 2165 points for the 5101. Still, I get a minimum of 1K PPD extra with the SMP going for free.:)

Rock On! :attn:

I take it you must be running in a VM... otherwise how would you also be running your 3870. ;)

Did you set the VM (vmware-vmx.exe) priority to Low in Task Manager? Then make sure you have the GPU2 client core priority set to 'Slightly Higher' (if using the graphical version) or 'low' (if using the console version). Then the VM should yield any cycles the GPU2 core needs.

As you've seen the SMP client can be great ppd or less than great ppd. However, the GPU2 client (ATI or nvidia) should yield a more consistent ppd and have a better chance of getting better (higher ppd) WUs more quickly. You'll just have to experiment to see what works best for your setup.

No, I'm not running it in a VM, its on a seperate system, the 3870 is in my main rig, which is running Vista, it folds whenever I'm not gaming and the computer is on, I run a single core client alongside it when I can.

Nick

Back