• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dman's New i7 Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Well what can I say. My PC took a crap just this past few days. Mobo died if not mistaken and trying to get an RMA on it, and a set of RAM took the crapper too. So with that new system inbound as of 30min ago. Since convincing the wife to get a new rig (major overhaul) right now is tough and not just going to replace my current components with something equivalent figured I might as well go big or go home. Since I was planning on upgrading this winter anyways its as well a dual reason to upgrade now.

So the new system will be basically all new from whats in my sig.

i7 920
EVGA X58 Mobo
6Gigs of G.Skill (PC3-12300)
EVGA GTX285 (yes just 1 currently I'll get another one down the road)
2x 640Gig Western Digital Black drives (Raid 0 and Raid 1)

Lets see yup that takes care of all the new things otherwise same case, monitor, heatsink with a new bracket of course.

Oh its coming she finally gave me the OK. The OK that it is really OK, not the what ever you think is OK.

Grats man :) Can't wait to see some OC results. Out of interest, if/when you do get another GTX285, is your DA750 going to be able to handle it all? I recently bought a DA850 for my future upgrade (going to be a BIG one.. venice 3000+ -> i7 920 :eek: ) as I was worried the 750 wouldn't like the load

I demand pics :p

Yup will get them as soon as I get the new rig up and running. Heck might be the first time I'll run a rig stock when I get it for a day to get everything loaded back on there.

Grats man :) Can't wait to see some OC results. Out of interest, if/when you do get another GTX285, is your DA750 going to be able to handle it all? I recently bought a DA850 for my future upgrade (going to be a BIG one.. venice 3000+ -> i7 920 :eek: ) as I was worried the 750 wouldn't like the load

The DA750 will handle another GTX285 no problem. If a Corsair HX620 can handle a Quad, and 2x 2900XT's at the time I think it can more than handle these.

Nice, now you have NO excuse not to play some games of Forged Alliance. :beer:

Indeed, now I'll defiantly be able to play a nice game with the AI easily. Even at that I can now do 3D Renderings and play a game at the same time I bet.

Looks great!

I'd like to tell you though that the G.Skill PI Black series don't work too well with the Evga MB.

Go here to see if the memory is supported:
http://www.evga.com/support/mbmem/

I would like to suggest the OCZ Gold or Platinum or the Corsair Dominator. Those seem to work extremely well with this board.

Its actually not the PI Black series. I was going to get them but had the model down from those. I like G.Skill brand so I've stuck with it so we'll see what happens.

Your going to like the 920. Fun CPU to use and explore new tech on. Been a long time since I got an eyebrow rise out of a CPU. The i7 did that.

Since I think you like RAM and all. Your going to love the speed of the DDR3 and tinkering on triple channel.

Matter of fact. I was considering walking over to the Windows machine (a 920 also) and play some games. Plus I had a few vids to encode. The crazy thing can do both at once. Plenty of extra bandwidth.

Your going to like the 920. Fun CPU to use and explore new tech on. Been a long time since I got an eyebrow rise out of a CPU. The i7 did that.

Since I think you like RAM and all. Your going to love the speed of the DDR3 and tinkering on triple channel.

Matter of fact. I was considering walking over to the Windows machine (a 920 also) and play some games. Plus I had a few vids to encode. The crazy thing can do both at once. Plenty of extra bandwidth.

Oh im sure I'll enjoy the CPU, been wanting a quad for a while and was just going to get a Q9550 but with my Mobo going in for RMA, Ram going in for RMA said forget it need new one. I enjoyed my C2D's but im sure i'll enjoy this for a bit longer :)

Well I like alot of ram, well 4Gigs isn't that much anymore and 6Gigs will help out considerably now for some things I do and with the option of going to 12Gigs in the future that will work great.

It will be nice to do multiple things at once comfortably.

Anyone got suggestions of what I try first with the rig? It is coming tomorrow I know that for a fact. I'll have to set it up and get Vista reloaded so not sure how much time I'll have for OCing but going to try to.

Anyone got suggestions of what I try first with the rig? It is coming tomorrow I know that for a fact. I'll have to set it up and get Vista reloaded so not sure how much time I'll have for OCing but going to try to.

Try first? I don't understand. I guess whatever you like to do while on the computer :)

If it were me, I would get her overclocked because running the i7 920 at stock settings is still a bit slow IMO. You have to atleast get it up to 3.8ghz to really have fun with it.

You would get great help at the Evga forums to with the x58 motherboard and OC'ing. I could help you here as well.

Good luck!

Encoding a DVD from your HD using Handbrake. 700MB file, H.264.

Game of Forged Alliance, 2 AIs, 20x20 map, see what the sim speed sticks to throughout (that's more for my own curiosity). :)

Well it arrived... and im sitting here at work still for at least another hour. Grrr

Just finally got around to installing it into the case. Getting her loaded up with the OS right now. Which reminds me gotta flash the updated bios on here right now.

I might get to some OCing tonight, but I gotta say this is the first CPU in at least 4 years that I have not OCed it right out of the box.

Back