• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I've given up!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Craxbax

I have ordered a vanilla EVGA 285 GTX 1gb that should be here mid week. After 3 glitchy, failing Powercolor HD4870 PCS+ 1gb cards in 4 months I have had enough. The last card couldn't even run at the reduced stock factory OC of 780/925 (originally 800/925) without flickering in games plus one of the DVIs failed. The Egg (thanks Egg!) was nice enuff to give me a refund on the card so I decided to go back to Nvidia. I have had good luck with my prior EVGA 7900GT and 8800 GTS 640. Both still running strong and they OC'd well just not enough for some of the newer titles. I had thought about grabbing a 260 GTX 216 or even a 9800GTX+ to hold me over untill the newest cards were released but WTH! Any issues on the 285 GTXs I should look for?

Yeah well at least they won't give you epilepsy or flicker vertigo trying to run at stock speeds! LOL

756/1620/1404 is pretty decent for a vanilla 285 GTX. From what I have read in some reviews that is higher than what they could pull from a SSC version. Nice going!!! I only have a 22" LCD and running XP Pro 32 so I was very happy with the 4870 visuals over the old 8800GTS 640 even at the sub stock speeds. I am expecting good things from the 285 GTX.

Edit: the FTW edition only has a 720mhz core!

Last edited:
I am sure that cpu will bench up to 4.2Ghz at least.

Oh I know I could, just doesn't mean I'll like the temps when I so such a run :) These are 24/7 clocks im running at, benching clocks well will have to wait for a wee bit since I want to game :)

756/1620/1404 is pretty decent for a vanilla 285 GTX. From what I have read in some reviews that is higher than what they could pull from a SCC version. Nice going!!! I only have a 22" LCD and running XP Pro 32 so I was very happy with the 4870 visuals over the old 8800GTS 640 even at the sub stock speeds. I am expecting good things from the 285 GTX.

Cool :) Really haven't noticed what versions of other peoples cards they've got but I know that I've seen some others core up higher. Gotta tweak it more if I want to find my true max. My core which might have a few more Mhz left in her, and memory which is a ? of how much higher it will go. If I drop my shader clock I might beable to push the core further.

As 22" so 1680x1050, not bad. To bad you only have 32-bit XP though, 64-bit will really help you with the memory thing since what you only see 2.75Gigs out of the 4Gigs you have installed?

I thought I was on the 'Darkside' with all the black screens on installs and DVI failure I was having!

Dman20: I see almost 3.5 gbs memory with XP. I'll go 64 bit when I go Nehalem and Win 7.

Oh didn't see you had a 7900GT in your sig. How much memory you have on that one?

Oh didn't see you had a 7900GT in your sig. How much memory you have on that one?

4gb (in sig). I stuck the 7900 GT in there just to RMA the PCS+ back to Newegg. My 8800GTS was already paired with an old FX60 at 2.9ghz.

Are you using the new 182 Nvidia drivers in that OC?

Are you using the new 182 Nvidia drivers in that OC?

Currently yes using the 182.06's. Be warned people have said there issues with these drivers and I've found that I tend to be stable with them currently but only time will tell with that one. For all I know maybe an earlier driver might OC better if these are causing more BSOD's.

I am running the 182.06 on the 7900 GT with no problems so they are backward compatible at least.

I suffered for months w/ a 4850 when I finally caved and went back to a Nvidia GPU.

1. Less line crawling in Left 4 Dead
2. better AA @ a distance in GRID
3. badaboom actually works AND kicks ***
4. Mirror's Edge's a treat w/ PhysX goodies
5. all the hot air goes out the back keeping my board/cpu temps cooler
6. the card doesn't overheat and melt
7. driver's easier to work with/install/release more frequently
8. card is black instead of red
9. Nvidia sounds better
10. I get to make fun of ATI again

:beer:

I've owned ATi cards for years until I decided to give a try to nVidia with the GeForce 8800GTS 640MB, and I haven't looked back ever since. And to be honest my ATi cards always emitted more heat than my oven, not to mention the stupid power consumption for what they could do, and according to what I've read of the more recent ATi/AMD GPU's it hasn't changed at all with those aspect of their engineering capabilities, their products still to this day considerably emit more heat and consume more power than any of the similarly capable nVidia products.

I have ordered a vanilla EVGA 285 GTX 1gb that should be here mid week. After 3 glitchy, failing Powercolor HD4870 PCS+ 1gb cards in 4 months I have had enough. The last card couldn't even run at the reduced stock factory OC of 780/925 (originally 800/925) without flickering in games plus one of the DVIs failed. The Egg (thanks Egg!) was nice enuff to give me a refund on the card so I decided to go back to Nvidia. I have had good luck with my prior EVGA 7900GT and 8800 GTS 640. Both still running strong and they OC'd well just not enough for some of the newer titles. I had thought about grabbing a 260 GTX 216 or even a 9800GTX+ to hold me over untill the newest cards were released but WTH! Any issues on the 285 GTXs I should look for?

Sounds good I really have no preference to video cards but I must say that I am brand loyal to a point XFX for Nvidia and Sapphire for ATI as far as powercolor I really dont like them they seem cheap for what you pay for them at least the egg was good to ya.

I suffered for months w/ a 4850 when I finally caved and went back to a Nvidia GPU.

1. Less line crawling in Left 4 Dead
2. better AA @ a distance in GRID
3. badaboom actually works AND kicks ***
4. Mirror's Edge's a treat w/ PhysX goodies
5. all the hot air goes out the back keeping my board/cpu temps cooler
6. the card doesn't overheat and melt
7. driver's easier to work with/install/release more frequently
8. card is black instead of red
9. Nvidia sounds better
10. I get to make fun of ATI again

:beer:

i was considering getting one too..

reason number 10= :thup:

Having used both the HD4870 1gb and the 285 GTX I am going to give Nvidia the nod for ease of set up. The 4870's performance was very good @ the not-to-demanding 1680x1050 resolution when it worked. Obviously, the 285 GTX is better. If I were in the sub $240 range for a GPU I would still choose the 260 GTX 216 over the 4870 1gb for 1680x1050 and above. That said I like HD 4850 for 1440x900 and below, however I might consider a 4870 512mb if I found one on sale for a few dollars more and it was at least $30 cheaper than a 260 GTX on sale. I noticed Newegg has dropped price of the Powercolor 4870 512mb and 1gb cards. As much trouble as I had with Powercolor, at $154 after $15 MIR I would consider the 512mb if that was my budget (although it may need to be underclocked slightly to perform properly.)

Back