• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i attach a 3.5 inch drive to a laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joncnca

Registered
ok, so i have a laptop with a sata drive, and in a few days, i will acquire a 3.5 inch drive, also sata.

is it possible for me to run a sata cable from my laptop to the 3.5 inch drive? is it the same standard port on the laptop as on a desktop mobo?

i know the computer's innards will be exposed for a while, but that's fine, it's only temporary. I just want to know if it's possible, and if it'll recognize the drive and basically run off the mobo etc of the laptop but use the 3.5 inch drive. i'll stick some os onto it too.

thanks!

It would be far better to get an enclosure. Just what the holy hell are you up to that makes you want to run an internal disk externally?

A big problem is how to supply it power. Most 2.5" hard drives use just 5v, but 3.5" drives use 5v and 12v.

I think the problem will be power. How will you power the drive? (hotwire a computer power supply with a paper clip and run the power to the drive)

Also I think the motherboard is a female end while the hdd side is a male end. You would need a non-standard cable.

Easiest way would be to grab a external enclosure and run it through usb, firewire, eSata.

Back