• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OC, need to be 100% sure.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P1EX

Registered
Hello

Sorry if this post is long in advance :D

So I built my first computer about 5-6 months ago and at the time the items I bought where pretty high quality (from what I understand), glad to say everything has been working fine since.

Alas I wish to step into the realm of overclocking to make my PC even faster, I have read the sticky on how to and while I'm sure I could pull this off I'm still uneasy about the possibility of destroying my computer.

That being said I'm here to ask you guys to give me some rough numbers that I should start out with while I attempt my first OC(Ill figure out where and how to plug them in on my own), keep in mind I am currently running everything at stock, air cooling and all.

Currently using
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W
I'd like to hit at least 3.5 if that's even possible with air cooling.

Not sure if rest of my build matters but i'll post it anyways.

ASUS MAXIMUS EXTREME LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit
4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (Soon to be 8GB)
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit

Much thanks to anyone with knowledge to share about my situation and if you have any other tips about my other parts please do share.

good mobo, great ram, and great GFX,

i think you should be able to hit at least 3.2ghz

what are your temps right now on load using prime95 small fft, or Linpack, then we can judge what you can push that die to.

good mobo, great ram, and great GFX,

i think you should be able to hit at least 3.2ghz

what are your temps right now on load using prime95 small fft, or Linpack, then we can judge what you can push that die to.

Ah thanks for the reply, I am currently at work so I will have to get back to you on the temp.

"prime95 small fft, or Linpack" I am guessing these are programs I need to download to see my temp?

Alright I have realtemp running and it idles around 45-50 and peaks around 60-65 after playing tf2 for 20 minutes

idle temps are high, too high. if you were to prime that thing it'd be well in the high 80s I bet. you either need a better cooler or re-apply your thermal paste.

idle temps are high, too high. if you were to prime that thing it'd be well in the high 80s I bet.

yeah i was afraid of that, how hard is it to replace a cpu then? im thinkin bout buying a new one and this time get a better heatsink, ive go so much electronic stuff crammed into a small space it gets pretty hot in here

lapping is simple i didn't even wetsand-i dry sanded to reduce risk and wore a static wrist band so it was fool proof

Back