• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan placement? i7 at 100C!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methal

This is an image of my tower and how I have the fans situated. I Just took my i7 apart and reapplied quick silver the recommended way.

I know it is supposed to run hot, but 100c is way to hot. Its running at 3.2ghz (stock with intel's speed step or whatever its called.) I've changed the air flow directions with no effect on core-temps readings.

I am using the default heatsink/fan.
antec 900 case. 2 raptors, 1 500gig sata.
short of getting a custom heat sink anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• Desktop chart.jpg
    Desktop chart.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 606
Are your sure the stock heatsink is properly installed ?

Positive. I've built about 30 of these at work. All 4 legs did the crisp "click" and I doubled/tripled check them (im freaking anal about these things.)

Although I'm sure by tomorrow i'll be tearing it apart again to quad check everything....I've got lifetime hardware but still, I don't want to fry my baby just yet =D

this might sound strange, but...

turn your top 2 fans into intakes, and use your rear fan as an exhaust :)

the top 2 will blow directly onto your cpu, and the rear exhaust will pull the downward air out, and help grab the heat comeing from your gpu as well :beer:

this might sound strange, but...

turn your top 2 fans into intakes, and use your rear fan as an exhaust :)

the top 2 will blow directly onto your cpu, and the rear exhaust will pull the downward air out, and help grab the heat comeing from your gpu as well :beer:

tried that one too =) the top (est) fan is like 200mm and only can point out. Its like perma attached to the case. (in otherwords moving it breaks it...I tried at work once heh) I did switch the flow of the back top case fan, from out to in, and didn't notice much a difference in temps.

There is definitely something wrong. Even with the stock cooler you should not be hitting 100C. Is this at idle or at full load??
Can you post a screenshot of CPU-Z for me?

There is definitely something wrong. Even with the stock cooler you should not be hitting 100C. Is this at idle or at full load??
Can you post a screenshot of CPU-Z for me?

This at full load. At Idle i'm getting 59c.

soon as I can get vista64 to take a screen shot i'll post that.

I am betting you have auto on the Vcore and alot of other voltages as well. Go ahead and post that SS of CPU-Z.
I think the default vcore for the i7 920 should be like 1.25 but can ran alot lower than that at default clocks. I think i ran mine at 1.18 or so at 2.6ghz.

Finally got this thing to the right size =)

Here is the screen:

Attachments

• Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 531
Mine was doing the same thing under load and I RMA'd the chip, except my idle temps were normal. Your idle temps are way too high, they should be around 33c. Something is definitely wrong.

.856v? whoa, that's some serious business there. You should almost be able to passively cool the chip at that voltage. :O

O wow. Something is definitely wrong with this picture. 3200mhz and 0.8 on the vcore should not be yielding those temps. Is this stable at that low of a vcore????
Do me a favor download realtemp from here and report the temps back!
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1325/mirrors.php

But from what i see if thats stable at 3.2ghz and 0.8vcore then you probably have a golden 920 and i bet if you get better cooling then you should be able to get some great clocks out of that chip.
Make sure the push pins are all locked in aswell and that none are broken.

Tear the top off (2 screws, 1 is the front panel ground, and some plastic clips are holding it on) and flip the fan around and your temps will drop a little and bring you a little further from redline.

Last edited:
Did you bump the voltage at all or just raise bclk?

neither. The chip auto clocks. Can reach 4ghz without touching it if its kept cool enough.

Here are the requested screens with the updated files. Big change in voltage readings with the updated CPU-Z =D updates ftw.

Attachments

• Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 504
Ok so CPU-Z was outdated. I would recheck the mounting on the cooler. If the cooler seems fine check your TIM application. What Thermal paste are you using BTW? The intel stuff? Only advise i can offer is to go ahead and order yourself a Aftermarket heatsink. If you want to stay with air i would recommend the Thermalright TRUE.

Ok so CPU-Z was outdated. I would recheck the mounting on the cooler. If the cooler seems fine check your TIM application. What Thermal paste are you using BTW? The intel stuff? Only advise i can offer is to go ahead and order yourself a Aftermarket heatsink. If you want to stay with air i would recommend the Thermalright TRUE.

Remounting now.
what is TIM?
Arctic Silver.

Thermalright True COPPER looks good. Think it will fit with the evga x58 board? best place to get one?

Last edited:
Back