• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan placement? i7 at 100C!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
which i spread around a bit with a plastic bag.

do not do this!!!!

the heatsink will do the spreading, go top AS website and see the proper document for placing your AS5 on the CPU

also take that rear fan and have it blow out, your likely sucking in hot air from your PSU onto the CPU

in fact the rear and toip i would all having blowing air OUT

if all your i7 builds are running hot, i would be more likely to look at user error putting them together.

Last edited:
do not do this!!!!

the heatsink will do the spreading, go top AS website and see the proper document for placing your AS5 on the CPU

also take that rear fan and have it blow out, your likely sucking in hot air from your PSU onto the CPU

in fact the rear and toip i would all having blowing air OUT

if all your i7 builds are running hot, i would be more likely to look at user error putting them together.

The temp on all of them range between 85c max to (mine and one other identical to mine) 100c max. I am sure they are put together correctly. Mine has been rebuilt about 6 different times now. Don't mean any offense but I've been building computers for 15 years now I'm pretty sure its put together right. In fact I don't know how it could be put together wrong. Its as simple (but still stupid) as can be. they should ahve used spring screws instead of push pin plastic...uh thingers...lol can't think of what they are called.

I've thought of gutting the whole computer and putting slightly longer screw pegs between the board and the case, but i'm afraid that by doing so I'll raise the board to high for the peripherals to fit right.

I'm going to use the ambient vs bios temp from a cold boot test to see if I am getting accurate readings between bios and windows. I'll also raise the temp to max and touch test the heat of the board, sink, and CPU itself.

I'll do another round of testings once my thermalreal true gets here and see what the temps are with that.

I know the i7 is supposed to run hotter than any other chip, but still this much heat is not good. Its going to burn out before it hits the 6 month mark.

you keep saying you are not overclocking, but your scn shot clearly shows 159 bclk. Unless I am completely and uterly wrong, speed step only decreases speed and turbo only changes the multiplier when not loading all 4 cores. In which case you are doing something to overclock your cpu manually. I believe evga has a "dummy overclock" setting which sets the blck to 159. Check to make sure this is off and what your temps are like with it off.

you keep saying you are not overclocking, but your scn shot clearly shows 159 bclk. Unless I am completely and uterly wrong, speed step only decreases speed and turbo only changes the multiplier when not loading all 4 cores. In which case you are doing something to overclock your cpu manually. I believe evga has a "dummy overclock" setting which sets the blck to 159. Check to make sure this is off and what your temps are like with it off.

I know it does look as if I've manually overclocked it, I've had it for about a month now. It is my understanding, and I believe I am correct, that the i7 chip can both under clock itself, and over clock itself provided that certain criteria are met.

http://www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/index.htm?iid=processors_rhc+pt_turboboost

Speedstep allows the proc to down clock, turboboost allows it to up clock.

Both of these are enabled on my system. Dummy OC is disabled (if its enabled you will not be able to use SS or TB)

there are two machines here at work that are similar to my own, and one that is Identical right down to the batch#s and S/Ns they would have been made, and shipped on the same day from intel/evga/patriot etc.

One of these two that are similar is currently clocking itself between 3.00. and 3.51 ghz. If I run prime 95 on it and it gets above 101c it drops its clock down untill the temp goes to 100c or cooler.

The one that is the same as mine will clock to 3.4 but never more. Usually sits right around 3.2. Same story though, at 100% its always at 100c. idle its around 60c.

Intel's stock cooler suck. Buy an aftermarket one.

I'd also recommend putting the rear fan (not the one that is attached to the top part of the case, but the one just below it) that is next to the CPU and have that blow out the air from inside the PC instead of having it blow inside because it is close to the other exhaust fans and thus you're recycling hot air in that system. It's a common mistake, even in these new cases.

neither. The chip auto clocks. Can reach 4ghz without touching it if its kept cool enough.
:rolleyes: gonna have to call bull**** on that. A 1.3Ghz oc from turbo mode with stock settings? Intels own specs will tell you that is not even possible. Sure, I'm running 4.0 with HyperThreading and Turbo on but it requires increased BCLK's. It cannot be done on a 920 without changing your baseclocks...period.

I've not manually over clocked it. i've got 2 of the 3 at work running at 3.1-3.4 ghz by only enabling intell speedstep. I'm thinking I may have a bad temp sensor. when I get home im going to check it in bios. Just wish I could stress test it from bios. It also just occurred to me that the mount and the board around the chip doesn't get hot. When i take the chip out (takes about 5 minutes from shut down to in my hand) its only luke warm.

I know it does look as if I've manually overclocked it, I've had it for about a month now. It is my understanding, and I believe I am correct, that the i7 chip can both under clock itself, and over clock itself provided that certain criteria are met.

http://www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/index.htm?iid=processors_rhc+pt_turboboost

Speedstep allows the proc to down clock, turboboost allows it to up clock.

Both of these are enabled on my system. Dummy OC is disabled (if its enabled you will not be able to use SS or TB)

there are two machines here at work that are similar to my own, and one that is Identical right down to the batch#s and S/Ns they would have been made, and shipped on the same day from intel/evga/patriot etc.

One of these two that are similar is currently clocking itself between 3.00. and 3.51 ghz. If I run prime 95 on it and it gets above 101c it drops its clock down untill the temp goes to 100c or cooler.

The one that is the same as mine will clock to 3.4 but never more. Usually sits right around 3.2. Same story though, at 100% its always at 100c. idle its around 60c.

Nothing changes your BCLKs automatically. Speedstep and Turbo affect ONLY THE MULTIPLIER FOR THE CPU! You, or someone, or something has changed the BCLK(Base Clock) which overclocks the entire system. Even at stock speeds they get very hot, any OC raises that heat output significantly.

I came across this thread from another you had started. What is it that you are doing to put 100% load on your work computers? Intels TDP of 130 was based on the fact that there is basically....uh nothing that can legitimately max out this cpu at stock settings. Stock has a potential TDP of well over 200 with hyperthreading and full load like LinX.

Please, turn off whatever software in Windows that you tried to "boost" your computer with. Then go into your bios and load failsafe defaults and reboot. Then enter your bios and load optimized defaults and reboot again.

Now take a CPUz shot. If the BCLK is not 133 then something is wrong...period.

MAy sound stupid but, why do you place your top fan on inhale , hot air rises so it's best to set that one to exhaust and the bottom one to inhale

Yerp the fan is indeed spinning. I added about a grain of rice size of paste on the cpu, which i spread around a bit with a plastic bag. Wiped the remainder off on the sink, it coated the die with about half a mm.

Ouch that's painful. There are quite specific instructions on i7 thermal paste placement on the AS website.

I have a core i7 920 running at 3.4Ghz and stock voltages. my idle temps are around 40C and my prime 95 load temps are around 70C. I do have a xigmatek dark night air cooler I think I need to reseat it though. I think I may have applied the AS5 incorrectly. one strange thing I have noticed while watching a few of the cpu temp monitoring programs is when the cpu load jumps to 100% the temp jumps to 70C almost instantaneously. and when the load drops back to zero the temps litearly on the next sample perioud drop down to idle temps. This seems like something is lying to me. that does not seem realistic at all.

I'm sure that you've got this covered, but just to be sure: is there any chance the plastic tag thing (that you rip off) is still on the bottom of the stock hsf?

If you ever forget to pull it off before mounting, you can end up with +20*C just from that.

I recall seeing him answer it in his other thread. Some utility had OC'd his system. After he reset his bios it was back to 133BCLK. So he did solve that mystery and turned off the software that did it. I don't recall if he answered whether it was still too hot or not and if he was still going to get something aftermarket for cooling.

Not an expert on i7 tuning, but if u wana make the top fan blow the other way just cut the wires and tie them on X ( red wire tied to black and vice-versa). It is 100% safe and reversible : ) ====x===

Then again, I will bet my *** off that won't change ur temps at all : )

I think you got a defective IHS like me. Mine will hit 100C on defaults with the stock cooler with perfect contact. Its even in the 80's at 0.95v. I'm going to RMA mine as soon as I can get a d0. With near top of the line water cooling its in the 70's load even only running 1.225v.

I recall seeing him answer it in his other thread. Some utility had OC'd his system. After he reset his bios it was back to 133BCLK. So he did solve that mystery and turned off the software that did it. I don't recall if he answered whether it was still too hot or not and if he was still going to get something aftermarket for cooling.

I did indeed find out what was going on. I still get temps in the low 90s. which is still about 40c higher than I'd like. Idle my chip drops down to 1.7ghz and i still get temps in the high 40s.

Still is incredibly hot. I've heard the i7 is runs hot, but jeez, hot used to be like 65-70c to me. With my last chip if I saw temps above 65 i freaked.

I had dummy OC enabled when I did my first set of tests, and rebuilds. After I built a couple at work i noticed that its off by default, and the temps were dropping by 10c.

With the stock cooler for every 500-800mhz the temp seems to go up by a good 10c.

MAy sound stupid but, why do you place your top fan on inhale , hot air rises so it's best to set that one to exhaust and the bottom one to inhale

exactly his set up right now is literally sucking in ALL the hot air blown out the bottom PSU, all fans on front blow in, all fans on back, blow out, keeps hot air out of the case.

Fixed. I switched the direction of the back and top fans.

Reason for switching the back fan was to pull the hot cpu air out, and to keep the hot psu air from recirculating.

I switched the top fan to blow down so that the hot air from my hard drives blowing over my vid card wasn't getting to my cpu as much as it was before, The result has been positive case pressure, and 2-3c cooler cpu temps.
After dropping my dummy OC, and disabling turbo mode my core cpu temps have dropped from 100c to 79-83c on full load.

Suck to not be able to OC, but i'll live. (i hope) Cancelled my true, (tired of waiting, and wasn't sure it was going to fit on my mobo: http://www.evga.com/products/enlarge.asp?PN=132-BL-E758-A1&I=1 with my cpu voltage sink, and the chipset sink+fan I decided that the squeeze is going to be to much. Going to get a water cooler when i've got enough bone chips. I'll have to keep a fan in there to help keep the mobo cool though.

thoughts?

Attachments

• Desktop chart.jpg
    Desktop chart.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 108
i have an i7 with similar overclock bclk set at 150 my vcore is 1.24v and my temps are 59c with about 30 percent load and a crappy aftermarket cooler would be about 10c higher without it. my top 2 fans exhaust front 2 intake rear fan exhaust and side fan intake hope this will help!

Back