• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan placement? i7 at 100C!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
remounted, added a tad bit more Arctic Silver as I noticed that 1/5th of the heat sink left a mark in the paste on the die. Made sure I had perfect contact.
Switched my fans all on high (sounds like a freaking vacuum now) and still hitting 100c after just 3ish minutes of running prime.

Going to bed for now. I've got 3 co-workers who also have the i7 and a demo computer with it. Going go see if those systems are getting the same temp readings. If they are we've got an issue to solve. =D

I'll get the true and see how that effects things. I'd like to get the copper one. Don't know a lot bout cooling, but I do know that copper is better than steel/aluminum when it comes to heat transfer.

Thanks for your input =) if you've got any other tricks to suggest i'd GLADLY try them =D

There has to be a problem somewhere.... either fans are not pushing or something... I hope I don't run into these problems with my new build.... omg

If you go with the TRUE Copper I would suggest going with a case that has horizontal mobo mounting because the copper TRUE is 900g and may flex the mobo in vertical applications.

Dont mean to sound like I'm taking the ****, but is the stock heatsink fan spining?

Also you should only you about a grain of rice's worth of TIM on the CPU. The pressure of mounting it will spread it out.

Yerp the fan is indeed spinning. I added about a grain of rice size of paste on the cpu, which i spread around a bit with a plastic bag. Wiped the remainder off on the sink, it coated the die with about half a mm.

I am at work right now where I have access to 3 of the same (one of which is in a different case, and one with the ASUS motherboard instead of the EVGA.) The one in the different case is running at 2.7ghz (bounces around a lot though. between 1800mhz and 2800...odd) it is maxing at 89c. 11c cooler than mine, but it could be due to the fact that its not speed stepping up to 3.4ghz like mine does.

Going to spend some time messing around with them to see if I can get one as close to my set up as possible then i'll do some stress testing on it to see if I can duplicate the issues. I might just swap my chip.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say what i am seeing is probably normal now. You obviously are overclocking the chip to achieve the 3.4ghz. I dont think the stock cooler is up to the task anymore. There are 2 ways that you can drop the temps on these chips.
1 is to lower the clock back to default 2.6ghz and the other is to disable hyper threading.
As far as the other one going from 1800mhz to 2800mhz that is turbo and EIST/C1 making the chip clock up when there is a load and downclock when there is no load.

stupid question sorta , but most people forget...

Fans set on AUTO? or manually with low % ...

and the stock cooler really cant handle 140+Watts of Heat , ... what are your temps @STOCK

I've not manually over clocked it. i've got 2 of the 3 at work running at 3.1-3.4 ghz by only enabling intell speedstep. I'm thinking I may have a bad temp sensor. when I get home im going to check it in bios. Just wish I could stress test it from bios. It also just occurred to me that the mount and the board around the chip doesn't get hot. When i take the chip out (takes about 5 minutes from shut down to in my hand) its only luke warm.

stupid question sorta , but most people forget...

Fans set on AUTO? or manually with low % ...

and the stock cooler really cant handle 140+Watts of Heat , ... what are your temps @STOCK

fans are set on auto. according to what bios says when the temp gets above 60c the fans will go to 100% which I can hear it doing.

Does the heatsink get hot? If the heatsink gets hot then you know its doing what it should be doing.
When i got my i7 920 in the mail i opened the box and took a look at the stock cooler. There is absolutely no way the stock cooler can handle the heat loads put out by the i7.
your chip has went from 2.6ghz to 3.4ghz. This in itself is enough to raise the heat output significantly with the stock cooler even though no voltages were touched. I would disable speed step and disable the turbo feature. And set all voltages to default and leave it that way until you get a better HSF.

Does the heatsink get hot? If the heatsink gets hot then you know its doing what it should be doing.
When i got my i7 920 in the mail i opened the box and took a look at the stock cooler. There is absolutely no way the stock cooler can handle the heat loads put out by the i7.
your chip has went from 2.6ghz to 3.4ghz. This in itself is enough to raise the heat output significantly with the stock cooler even though no voltages were touched. I would disable speed step and disable the turbo feature. And set all voltages to default and leave it that way until you get a better HSF.

very good point. The heatsink is warmer than my last computers...though it was just and amd 4000+ dual core, even though I had it over clocked by a good 1000mhz (3.0ghz) I don't know a lot about how the i7 works, but i'd imagine that it shouldn't get anything near 80c let alone 100c.

well actually the i7's run extremely hot. Most people have problems with temps OC'n

theres a thread somewhere on here, with a all-in-one WC unit , and it cooled every other chip to 5-10 off from ambient, FULL LOAD, but the i7 just overpowered it.

with Speed step, and turbo disabled running basically "fail safe settings" it still says im getting 95c on full load.

Last edited:
I would just buy a good aftermarket HSF and then see if that helps the temps lol 95C is no good. Or contact intel if that fails, cos then you get a replacement CPU :)

so your bclk is set to 133 correct?
Default setting is 133x20.
While your doing this go through all your voltages. Some boards on Auto apply way more voltage than is needed. Go into your BIOS and lsit what all the voltages say!

I would just buy a good aftermarket HSF and then see if that helps the temps lol 95C is no good. Or contact intel if that fails, cos then you get a replacement CPU :)

I can get a replacement CPU tomorrow if I wanted. I got this from PC Laptops and they have lifetime hardware replacement so if I take it in and say "its running or saying its running really hot" i can walk out 10 minutes later with a brand new chip. I might just do that. Although there are 3 of them at work that I have been tinkering with, only one of them is the exact same build as mine and its also running really hot....come to think of it they arell are running really hot. like 85c+

I have 2 i7 920 computers. one of them will run 4.2ghz @ 1.4v the other one at the same settings runs about 15c hotter. I have tried to swap the coolers and both work the same on each chip, one chip just runs that much hotter. and now it runs even hotter than normal so not sure what is up there. the one that runs hot will run at 4.5ghz on air

Back