• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4770 CF Vs. 4890 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhysX

So, am I reading reviews wrong, or is a pair of 4770s in CF faster than a single 4890 ?

I was going to get the 4890, and another down the road. I am into gaming of course usually like max settings. @ 1680x1050, maybe 1920x1200 down the road.

But if I can get better performance from 2 cards for $100 less I am obviously going that route, what are your thoughts ?

Yeh it appears that 2 4770's are better... but obviously 2 4890's wipe the floor with them... i would get a single 4890 then another down the road... if you get 2 4770's you are left with no room for expansion....

ok yes, but the vast majority of boards only have 2 PCI-E lanes, unless you start going to high end x48 and x58 boards (or nvidia boards but im ignoring them coz they're only sli)

What mobo do you have PhysX?

NewEgg currently has four non-nVidia/SLI LGA775 boards with 3 or 4 PCIe slots, and nine non-nVidia/SLI AM2 boards with 3 or 4 PCIe slots.

And to nitpick, two x16 PCIe slots is 32 lanes, not 2 :)

well... I was going to upgraDE to i7 within the next month or so, but I would have to buy everything.

as it is I have enough spare 775 parts to build another system.

the mobo would be an asus p5q pro, p45 i think ?

so its cheaper for me to buy a new cpu for that mobo and two of thos chips than it is to buy a whole new system, or I can go with what I have an upgrade in a year, so .... 500 now. and 1600 in a year haha...

maybe faster, but do all the games you play work with Xfire and will future games....

i would get the single card, you know it will give you the performance you want %100 of the time.

So, am I reading reviews wrong, or is a pair of 4770s in CF faster than a single 4890 ?

I was going to get the 4890, and another down the road. I am into gaming of course usually like max settings. @ 1680x1050, maybe 1920x1200 down the road.

But if I can get better performance from 2 cards for $100 less I am obviously going that route, what are your thoughts ?

I would buy the 4770 CF but 512mb is a problem down the road.... Everything seems to be coming out with 1GB now and EVGA just came up with a 2GB 285... so cards will be moving into 2gb... So 512mb of vram will be a problem.

I would say wait till July... new cards should be coming out. Maybe drive down the price of the others...

Last edited:
Can be the same problem as with 3850 256MB before ... cards good for games but 256MB isn't enough to run some new games in higher resolution. In half year can be the same with 512MB and really better buy 4890 and add second one in some time when prices drop then buy 4770 in CF. At least I had problem to sell 2x HD3850 256MB and my bro needed something faster.

Back