• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any ideas on how to get my system running a little cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jafar

Currently my system is running a little hotter than I'd like it to be. It's a Intel Q6700 Quad Core 2.66GHz, Antec P193 Case, TRUE 120 Heat sink, and a EVGA GTX 260. I have two exhaust fans one on the upper back, and one on top back. Then I have two intake one for the upper chamber and one for the the lower power supply chamber. Not to mention the fan on the heatsink that blows through it straight through to the top exhaust fan. My temps average around 41c/42c for two of the cores while the other two average around 49c/50c. While playing TF2 I've notice they can get up to excess of 62c which is only running the system at about 25% load. The TRUE is seated properly using Arctic Silver, and I just don't know how to get this thing cooler. Is there anything more I can do besides going to water cooling? This should be enough and I just don't understand why its still running so hot.

What kind of fans does the TRUE have and what is your room temps? if you take the side off the case and blow a house fan in it when loading it up do the temps drop?

Link to your case too?

Currently the TRUE is running an Antec Tri-Cool 120mm 3 speed. Not sure about the house fan. Here is a link to the Antec P183, which I bought about a month ago thinking this would show me some cooling improvement to my old Ultra case, and I didn't see much improvement at all. I don't think it's an ambient room temperature issue either, because it remains the same temp no matter what temperature the room is.

If the fan isnt an issue, maybe try lapping the HS and chip. Maybe add a second fan to the HS that isnt so quiet in a push pull configuration?

I don't know what the inside of your case looks like, but you may also want to look into some better cable / wire management and better air flow from your case fans as well.

Have you checked into the washer addon? I'm sure ya can find reference to it somewhere. That can help by pushing the HS down harder. How did you apply the TPaste? Did you pull the HS off and check it? Too much or two little can hurt temps.

Are all of your 4 case fans on high and pulling from the front and pushing out on the top back?

Can you wiretie another fan around the other side of the TRUE and push/pull?

I'd lap the TRUE and CPU only as a last resort, if it's really bowed.

How hot is hot? What are you using to monitor temps?

Do the temps improve if you pull the side off the case? This will tell if it's a case ventilation issue.

Back