• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI-E x1 card in x16 slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cant.Touch.This

Would it work? The problem is the soundcard being a x1 card can't fit between a Crossfire/SLI setup especially since the GPU's are dual slot. So could the soundcard go into the third x16 slot or any of the other PCI-E slots without hindering performance of the GPU's?

I'm referring to i7 boards, cause I just ran into this problem while looking at most of the boards - the x1 slot seems to be conviently placed between two x16 slots. I only saw the EX58-UD3R and Bloodrage as the two boards with the x1 as the first slot, if there are any other boards like that, please do post, thank you.

I don't have a specific board in mind as the question was somewhat generalized but since I saw on the box it was able to take a x1, x4, x16 slot I thought I ask here before proceeding to do so when I actually get the new board.

The problem I have really lowers the amount of choices I have at motherboard since I would prefer the soundcard in its original x1 slot.

EDIT: Are there flexible x1 risers? Does such a thing exist?

Last edited:
UD4P is a good option as well. I think the 4x slot would be just fine. I know that's most likely the board I'll end up as it's god a good mixture of features that I want with almost nothing I don't want or need. And great price to boot.

UD4P is a good option as well. I think the 4x slot would be just fine. I know that's most likely the board I'll end up as it's god a good mixture of features that I want with almost nothing I don't want or need. And great price to boot.

What about compared to the UD3R?

Back