• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble getting 3.6ghz stable on 955 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firewarrior7867

Hi guys. I'm pretty new to overclocking and I finally upgrade from my old socket 939 setup. I'm using the 955 BE, a M4A78T-E Asus mobo, and 1066 OCZ 2x2gig ddr3 ram. As of this moment my core speed is 3622.6mhz at 1.438v my multiplier is x17.5 and my FSB is 207. I havent touched my HT Link. My cpu/nb is at 2200 at 1.175v and my ram is at 7-7-7-20 and 1.75v.

My system is pretty stable, I can run games like WaW and Fallout 3 no problem for hours on end. I also run 3dmark 06 and Vantage no problem. I idle at around 39-40c and load at 50-51. However if I run Crysis or Ghostbusters my system crashes hard and I have to reset the CMOS. I dont understand what could be the problem. I have never gotten a BSOD or anything like that. Only hard crashes, Ive had to reset the CMOS like 10 times already. Thanks in advance

Raise ram voltage, cpu voltage and a tad bit of an increase on the cpu/nb voltage should help.

And I almost forgot! :welcome: to the forums! Enjoy your time here!

Thanks for the reply. Is it safe to reset the CMOS so often? I mean ive never heard that before? I thought BSOD were common when overclocking not resetting the CMOS.

Thanks for the reply. Is it safe to reset the CMOS so often? I mean ive never heard that before? I thought BSOD were common when overclocking not resetting the CMOS.

When overclocking, resetting cmos is part of the game! I reset it so often I don't even need to look in the case to pull the battery:santa:

i've been wanting to hook up a button to my jumpers to reset the CMOS. When you have tubes everywhere sh*t just gets in the way.

^They sell a CMOS Reset switch that mounts on the back PCI slots.

I'm starting to think that M4A78 board is a pile.. I've got it and I couldn't get my PII 940 to boot 3.8g to save my life.. Look up my thread on PII 940 4G help, I've got my settings in there to try for a 3.8g run that wouldn't boot.

Up your HT link speed to about 800mhz and your CPU/NB ratio to about 11x.

Last edited:

Haha. I actually consider it a disadvantage for myself! I am so used to this that when ever I work on older motherboards I am thoroughly confused! But I suppose it is because I came into the game after you did. So it also means you have more experience in general. :beer:

It's odd - I've seldom had to reset the CMOS, at least on modern boards. The A8N32's I've got have never had their battery out. ASUS boards have "CPR", their BIOS recovery program, and that has kicked in LOTS of times while OC'ing but it's never been so bad that I've had to reset CMOS. Weird that several ASUS boards have recently needed CMOS resets during OC'ing - their quality is definitely going downhill ... :-/

Back