• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future proof rig for under $700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adhoc

Hi :)

I would like suggestions on a rig sub $700.

Requirements:

Future-proof (upgradable, etc.)
Will be used for gaming (Left4Dead, some RTS) and work.
SSD

Including:

Small monitor (will use current one for new rig)
gaming mouse (no keyboard)
case

Thanks

Best bet you are going to get for future proofing is going to be an AM3 based rig. i7's to expensive and 775 is outdated. Give me a few to look around and I'll see what I can come up with.

Doesn't include an OS or upgraded HSF but will get the job done. A touch over budget but has $45 in rebates that will bring you under the limit.

build2.jpg

Last edited:
Second the above recommendation, except I might consider waiting for the new Athlon II chips to come out. They should be cheap, pretty speedy and overclock quite nicely, and you could still upgrade to a Phenom in the future if you become so inclined.

You could also save a bit by going with one of the Coolermaster Elite series (this one has free shipping), or a Centurion 534. It's no Antec, for sure, but they're decent, servicable cases.

Forget the SSD for now. To fit it into your budget, you'll have to seriously cheap out on both the SSD and the other components in your system, and that is never a good idea, especially on long-term builds. Save the SSD for a future upgrade.

BTW, I quite nearly pooped myself when I saw the price on that GTX260, until I realized that you're actually paying for the "gifts" too. I guess it's still not a bad deal if you want those particular games, just nowhere near as zesty as I initially thought. :(

BTW, I quite nearly pooped myself when I saw the price on that GTX260, until I realized that you're actually paying for the "gifts" too. I guess it's still not a bad deal if you want those particular games, just nowhere near as zesty as I initially thought. :(

Newegg has been doing that a lot recently. I have no clue why they just don't price the games at zero and leave the cards at what they are. For the simple fact that people read things like you are and feel that they are paying for the games.

I would suggest a 4850 or 4870 instead of the GTX260. A 4870 is pretty close in performance and is a few bucks cheaper. Also that Gigabyte board supports Crossfire so you can add another one later. I play on a 4850 with a e7200 and it handles every game I have just fine at 1680x1050 including Fallout3, COD WAW, and GTAIV. A 4850 can be had for 99 bucks whick is a steal.

This is includes everything in your list including monitor, SSD, mouse and DVD.

3754374896_6ca1745439_o.jpg

3753576623_f05188e332_o.jpg

Last edited:
That link is bad. AM3 will be around for a while, I can't give any exact numbers but two years wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, AM3 was released in Feb of this year. I imagine AMD won't release a new socket for at least another year, maybe two.

Changed around the processor to a non-black edition quad
Also changed mobo, RAM, and HDD b/c of newegg deal
Is this better?

Thanks
:)

Attachments

• post2.jpg
    post2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
If you intend to overclock get a black edition, or a different motherboard.

I have the m4A79 deluxe and have a max of 250ish HTREF. making the much cheaper Foxconn a79a-s a better overclocker for non BE setups. (I can hit 300 HTREF on the foxconn).

considering this build,
but is the quad overkill for this build?

Please look over it :)

Thanks

(hating the California sales tax increase right now)

Attachments

• post3.jpg
    post3.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
^ No go. The mobo is socket Am3 while the cpu is socket Am2+ and while Am3 cpus will go into am2+ boards, Am2+ cpus will not go into an Am3 board. And on top of that, The cpu isn't compatible with ddr3. I suggest you go with a 955 (quad for a tad more) or go back down to the 720 (triple for less).

And as for the Am3 lifespan, I imagine it will be running strong until the new 32nm Amd cpu's come out in '11. (I think...?) But then they will start to be phased out.

One last look over :)
Future-proof and overclockable?

Attachments

• post7.jpg
    post7.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 144
I see that it has an almost equivalent chipset
Is it still easily overclockable?

I have that combo and it overclocks nicely. I have heard the 790x is slightly better for overclocking, but you probably wouldn't notice a difference unless you're really pushing the limits of the cpu. The bios has all the overclocking options you could want though.

Back