• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lapping the xigmatek s1283?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

just dan

i was google'in around for a lapped xiggy cooler and found this , any idea's if you did this with the thor's hammer and pressure modded it? i would think it would beat the megahalem and true by 2c or 3c or lapping the reguler s1283 could bring it down to temperatures like the true?

Last edited:
I thought about filling the valleys with solder and then lapping it. The base is a little rough so lapping would shave a couple c.

Id think it would, just a couple Celcius at best though. Also, when applying thermal paste to the Xiggy, make sure you get it in the valleys between the pipes. I saw a guide to doing this but don't remember where i found it. Ill do a quick Google search and see if i can find it.

I'd love to see your results on this if you do it. I'd be especially interested if you fill the gaps in with solder first.

Hey, love your avatar Marluce. It's kewl as....

I don't know about filling the gaps with solder, but I did a bit of lapping on my sunbeam and I saw a few degrees drop. I mean it was nothing like the 600 - 800 - 1000 - 1500 - 2000 lapping, but I took a bit to smooth everything out and get it decently flat.

I don't know about filling the gaps with solder, but I did a bit of lapping on my sunbeam and I saw a few degrees drop. I mean it was nothing like the 600 - 800 - 1000 - 1500 - 2000 lapping, but I took a bit to smooth everything out and get it decently flat.

Well, its not strictly necessary to lap that much mind you it does look nice and shiny when you do. Please post piccies if you do this. ;)

I like shiny stuff, almost a shame to put it on the CPU when done though.... :screwy:

I'm happy with my temps as is so won't bother with lapping. I can't see that lapping would be very easy with current tower style coolers.... Back with the old top down coolers I use to though..... Last time wast a good ol ThermalTake PIPE101, geez that thing worked well. The 120CFM Sunon fan I had on it drove me nuts though.

Go easy on it if you do, the walls on the heatpipes are mighty thin, and even a microscopic hole is fatal.

Go easy on it if you do, the walls on the heatpipes are mighty thin, and even a microscopic hole is fatal.
I have a huge dent on my dark knight from lapping, so unless you want to know how thin the material really is. I'd advice against lapping xigmatek heatsinks.

I have a huge dent on my dark knight from lapping, so unless you want to know how thin the material really is. I'd advice against lapping xigmatek heatsinks.

To be expected really. When you think about it, Xiggies just offer high end performance at low end prices. That's really not something I'll ever complain about. :p

Mine lapped fine. Dropped it down about 5C at stock clocks under full load of Prime95 large FFT's with F@h running. I filled in the gaps before hand as well. Best hour I spent on my computer so far.

I think ArcturusVi used this guide at Benchmark Reviews, which I used as well.

As for lapping, my S1283 wasn't finished that well, but it was basically as flat as I could tell. Also I couldn't find any sandpaper other than 400grit, so I didn't want to make anything worse. :rolleyes:

I think ArcturusVi used this guide at Benchmark Reviews, which I used as well.

As for lapping, my S1283 wasn't finished that well, but it was basically as flat as I could tell. Also I couldn't find any sandpaper other than 400grit, so I didn't want to make anything worse. :rolleyes:

That is indeed what I used. Mine was fairly smooth as well, but I found some 600 grit wet/dry hand sanding paper at Lowe's. Got it a bit finer/smoother feeling. All my case fans remained at the same speeds during this testing as well. And if what people say about TIM needing a "set-in" time to become as effective as it will be, I have possible another degree or so to look forward to :bday:

Back