• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant move files around in Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marshmallow64

I just noticed I seem to have this problem where I cant move files around within a folder. Lets say I have 50 files in one folder and I want to click and drag the file to tack it onto the end. I cant seem to do that anymore and I cant find the settings to change it back Its so weird cause I dont have the auto arrange setting when I right click.

I can sort the files by name, date, etc. I just cant move the files around to customize it myself.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

It isn't a "new feature", it is something they fixed. Basically, it refreshes the folder every time you make a change, putting them in the proper order.

O ok so I am guessing from the responses that its normal now? Like they wont let you drag around files? Kind of odd, but if its normal then I can deal with it, I just thought it was some setting I actually messed up in.

O ok so I am guessing from the responses that its normal now? Like they wont let you drag around files? Kind of odd, but if its normal then I can deal with it, I just thought it was some setting I actually messed up in.
It isn't that they "don't let you", it just updated the folder instantly now. So every change you make re-orders the folder to how you had it (name, last modified, etc).

But I kinda like the option of being able to move things that way its easier to cut out some files I want instead of holding down the ctrl button. O well =(

For whatever reason the option to disable Auto Arrange in Win7 RC has been removed, and can't be disabled except on the Desktop.

Back