• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microstutter/Judder 1080p/24

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColdFlare

Hello everyone,

I've searched the forums but haven't really found a solution to the stutter and judder I am seeing on my HTPC running Windows 7 64bit Media Center. The stutter/judder only happens on files that are recorded using 23.967fps in 720p. I would like to mention that when I don't use WMC7 and use VLC player instead the videos play very smoothly with no stutter whatsoever. This only happens in WMC7 Full Screen mode. Even in non Full Screen Mode WMC7 plays the files flawlessly.

The following problem only happens when I have WMC7 on full screen mode. This is the problem which I am trying to solve to get smooth playback in WMC7 Full screen mode.

First I had my HTPC set to output 60hz this created really aweful stutter/judder. The video files were almost unwatchable. I then fooled around with the htpc some more by setting the refresh rate to 24hz. This helped a lot. However it seems that every few seconds (I would guess 23-24 seconds) the screen would jump/judder/stutter. I am guessing this is because 24hz does not sync exactly 23.967fps. I am trying to get the best playback possible. Is it possible to get rid of those jumps/judder/stutter every 23-24 seconds?

Here are my HTPC Specs:

Zotac GeForce 9300 (Using HDMI with Sound)
KDL-46W4150 (Motion Enhancer On)
2.8ghz Core 2 Duo
4gb Memory
Windows 7 64bit

If anyone can offer any assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

have you tried turning the motion enhancer off on the monitor? i bet that will help but other then that it sounds like something is in the background causing the jutter for wmc7.

Hey fellow KDL owner.

You must set picture mode to CUSTOM to use with a PC. Also make sure everything is set to OFF (mpeg motion enhancer, etc).

Make sure your motion enhancement is turned off. It absolutely can not work with a PC in this way. I've had mine for 8 months and have tried every configuration possible. It won't do it.
The motion enhancer is good for TV viewing, makes actor movements appear smoother in sitcoms, etc- but for PC its not supposed to be on as far as I know.

So, CUSTOM, OFF for everything, motion enhancer off.

This should fix it.

Along with the suggestions for Motion Enhancer mode try various Cine Motion settings if that model has the option. And under NVIDIA control panel->Video & Television->Adjust video image settings try different settings for 'Use inverse telecine'.

Along with the suggestions for Motion Enhancer mode try various Cine Motion settings if that model has the option. And under NVIDIA control panel->Video & Television->Adjust video image settings try different settings for 'Use inverse telecine'.

cine motion= motion enhancer on KDL AFAIK?

The KDL-##XBR4 has separate CineMotion and Motion Enhancer settings under Video Options. They are related (one CineMotion setting disables Motion Enhancer no matter what you have set for ME) but they do different things with pull downs/refresh. Speaking only about my XBR here, CineMotion actually sets various pull down/refresh rate options whereas Motion Enhancer deals with image processing so that rapid movement appears smoother. ME doesn't mess with refresh AFAIK so it's not as likely to have much effect on pure stutter but it does adjust it's algorithm based on what refresh option you have selected (i.e., CineMotion).

I ddn't know if the Sony model of the OP has the exact same settings as the XBR which was why I wanted to qualify it with a "if your set has the option."

ya turn off all motion enhancer 120hz crap.... interpolation technologies even on the latest hdtv's all but suck.

I turned off the 120hz stuff on my 52inch samsung about 3 min after i hooked it up and have never turned it back on. The nice thing about the 120hz screens is that you can set 24/30/50/60 hz for proper playback of all video types without stuff like 3:2 pulldown. I was having an issue like you with a studder every like 5 secs, turns out it was 3:2 pull down and a 24fps source and 60hz tv... told media portal to change the refresh rate to what ever was being played and BOOM perfect motion.

Thank you guys I've messed with the tv settings and it was cinemotion that was turn on that was causing the stuttering.

I now have another problem. I'm currently using 1080p/60hzto get a smooth playback and when I play my mkv files the audio seems to slowly desync with the picture after 40 minutes of so playing the file. I'm guessing it is the refresh rate on the tv that is causing the desyncing of the audio from the video. It seems like the audio is slower than the video.

Any help would be appreciated.

Back