• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darionis

Registered
Hey folks,

I'm planning on building myself a new PC when the i9 launches, and I wanted to go all out. (The beauty of company expenses, amirite?)

So here's my question: For under 800$ including soundcard, what would you recommend for PC audio. The vast majority of the use will be for gaming! I'm not what you would call an audiophile, but not everyone is perfect :attn:

Some info - the rig will be in a 15x10 room, and a 5.1 system would be fantastic for watching movies, but again - I'm not an expert on speakers.

There are others much more versed in the 5.1 entertainment setup than me, so I'll let them handle that. However, my rig is used for gaming exclusively, and I've found that practically nothing beats a good set of headphones. I personally use the Sennheiser HD 280's with my X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card. It sounds great, though I'm planning to get a small headphone amp to help drive it as well. Some people prefer open cans as opposed to closed, but my environment can be fairly loud so I opted for the 280's due to their closed design and the more level reproduction.

Audio-Technica also makes some great cans.

Back