• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB:DRAM non optimal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

budtz

Hi,

I'm new to all this. I've recently upgraded the RAM and CPU of an old laptop to PC3200 RAM and an old Dothan 2.0GHz with a FSB of 400 MHz. The FSB : DRAM ratio however is showing up as 3:5 although 1:1 should be possible with this setup. Can I change this somehow (my BIOS does not have this feature). I've attached the CPUID info (the CPU is currently overclocked, but even when its not I still get the 3:5 ratio and the RAM in both slots is identical).

Help and any other ideas on how to tweak this setup even more much appreciated.

Casper.

Attachments

• cpuid0.png
    cpuid0.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 271
  • cpuid1.png
    cpuid1.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 275
  • cpuid2.png
    cpuid2.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Oh. I thought the 3 CPU-Z dumps pretty much nailed it. It's an Asus M6N laptop form around 2004 with an Intel i855 chipset:

Attachments

• cpuid3.png
    cpuid3.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 262
Looking at the SPD settings, there isn't one for 100MHz, which is what the processor's base clock is running at (100 x 4 = 400 FSB). Since the lowest SPD setting for the RAM is 166 (JEDEC #1 above), then it appears that the BIOS is forcing the use of the 3:5 divider (166 / 5 = 33.2 x 3 = 99.6 or rounds to 100 MHz). You can confirm that it is running at the 166 SPD settings by looking at the timings displayed in the Memory Tab and comparing to the timings showing per the SPD Tab...they are the same 2.5-3-3-7.

However, that's as far as I can go 'cause I don't really know what you could do about it. :(

You could try to change the ram's SPD by adding a 100MHz Timings Table with something like Thaiphoon Burner

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Memory-Tweak/Thaiphoon-Burner.shtml

or maybe Wizzard's SPDTool

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=20349

Edit:
Just noticed that this thread is a couple of weeks old and only brought to life by the spammer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back