• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On WINDOWS 7 i can play crysis on very high, on windows xp i cannot? :s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

umarrehman187

right i have an ati radeon hd 3870, ive got iwndows 7 ulitmate and i can smoothly play crysis on very high, but when i used to have windows xp i could just play on high, whats going on how can that happen lol? the graphics look awesome tho!

That is absolutely correct. VERY HIGH in Crysis is DX10 which XP does not support. And unless you have a DX11 card (which arent out yet) you dont have DX11 (cant use the features even though the OS supports it).

well when i go on dxdiag it says the dx i got is 11, i can get you a proof picture of it if you want?

oh yeah one more thing if i install pcmark, it says you need to have direct x 9 april 2005 part, if i say yes to that will it install over the lastest dx i got and put dx 9 there?

Directx 9c is an update to Directx 9. Go ahead and install it if it asks. If you don't need it nothing will be installed. As Earthdog said, newer versions won't be overwritten.

Xp and DX10. thats a bunch of hooey. I saw that rumor a couple years ago but it was never working properly.

Xp and DX10. thats a bunch of hooey. I saw that rumor a couple years ago but it was never working properly.

It requires the game developers to make it work with a patch of the game, something most if not all devs are not willing to put time into.

It still isnt true DX10. Look what it says...

Enhancing on DX9:
It is a very tweakable game. Crytek have given us the ability to tweak many many things to reach Very High equivalent settings and even far far beyond. I will give you a break down of every exact Very High setting(used in DX10) for reference. This is the real list of every setting and their values. So you can use this list and mimic exactly very high in DX9 to the fullest extent possible. Just add this list to an autoexec.cfg and you will have very high for DX9.

Too many disclaimers in there, yes? but honestly, what is the distinction between the two?

Back